View Single Post

Thread: What if Real Life worked by RAW?

1. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: What if Real Life worked by RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Yeah, languages change over time. Usually deterioration due to laziness or improper education. I personally consider it to be a negative effect. For one thing, I can't understand half of what kids these days write (omg txtng lolz) or say.
    Yeah, but then I don't get to show off my amature knowledge of linguistical evolution.

Two examples. Latin has no actual word for "yes." The closest is sic est, roughly translated as "it is thus," and the negative of that being sic non est, "it is not thus."

Over time as the plebs began speaking Latin poorly and the Patricians started speaking Greek to show off, sic est was shortened to just sic, and then eventually, to just si, with a funny little accent on the i.

Obviously, you can see that sic non est was eventualy shortened to just non and then, in many cases, to no.

Second example - in Catholocism, the priest has the "magic" ability to turn simple bread into the Body of Christ. How does he do this? When does this actually happen? Simple - when he holds up the bread and says "this is the body." Only in older times Church was always in Latin, so instead he would say hoc est corpus. Ta-da! With these "magic" words, the normal bread becomes the Body of Christ.

Say hoc est corpus 5 times fast. Sound familiar? The "magic" words that transform bread into the body of Christ? Hocus pocus!
    Last edited by Rogue Shadows; 2011-07-22 at 01:18 PM.