View Single Post

Thread: LGBTAitp - Part Fifteen

1. - Top - End - #243
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: LGBTAitp - Part Fifteen

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    What's with the disclaimer? Cuz they totally are.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because it's a quote. That you probably should see the movie that it's from at some point in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I wouldn't know either. I mean we've just had that discussion and the conclusion was "people should be able to call themselves whatever they want even if it's obviously false, and no it's not offensive that they do, what's offensive is our deciding that it's false".
    Well, we were certainly told that, at great length. Didn't really seem to be a discussion per se, though. Maybe I glossed over a page?

It certainly seemed like no one was actually convinced either way and no real change occurred other than dropping the topic due to it being too heated.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    You know, while I see how that is definitely offensive in some ways (and rather misleading), I thought the idea of people being able to decide their own labels and not being held to arbitrary social standards was a desirable thing?
    Well, the real thing is that no one should have to sit through a long-winded, 15 minute explanation from a teenage child, with all that implies, when they could have expressed everything in 2, maybe 3 sentences. *shudder* Gives me the jibblies just thinking about having to do that again. Thankfully having to deal with teenage children has been getting steadily rarer.

That, and it was a thrown out example in response to a scenario where I felt it further illustrated how silly people can be.

Sure, there'll be people picking labels that can be seen as inaccurate or facetious, but it's not really anyone's concern but the person themselves, is it?
    In this case it was being used as a technique by which to be emotionally abusive by dangling a threat over the head of the guy she was interested in, in order to get him to suck up to her and be extra nice and give her nicer swag than normal from what I could get out of the situation.

So it seems like there'd be other situations where what one says can have an impact on others, yeah.

If someone wants to say that they're male this year and female next year, would that be a problem?
    Well, it is the kind of thing that would be annoying and confusing to one's associates if there's no rhyme or reason to it ever expressed. Or one acts imperiously when one is ever actually asked a question about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    To be completly fair, that's how Korea works and you can't really get past that. It's like how women in Japan try to be as super cutsey as possible to catch a guy, that's how their culture says women should be. I do agree that it's wrong, but hey, if it works it works, and if they are happy they are happy.
    Seriously? Isn't the general idea of feminism is that such situations both don't work very well and are not conducive to the pursuit of happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    not eating as much as she normally would while on date and eating again once home, and saying "Teehee, I'm such a light eater, I don't need much food" or that kind of thing.
    What? That's not how one does it at all! You eat before you go out, so that even if the food at the restaurant is horrible or you find out someone slipped drugs/poison into it, you're perfectly fine with not eating it, but you leave enough room that you could eat a bit.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-07-23 at 11:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide