1. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XIX: I Emptied Your Thread

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Hokay! Here we go.

Negative Temperatures:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The difficulty here is that temperature and negative temperature share a name, but they're really like apples and oranges. Temperature is something that classifies an equilibrium system (one that's had time to come to rest in a configuration that is the most favorable) while negative temperature is inherently a property of non-equilibrium systems (which are still in flux of some sort). Basically, there exists an equation that relates a system's configuration to its energy content; after everything has had time to come to rest, even at the highest possible temperature (mathematically, infinite temp) there should be equal amounts of the system in the high and low energy states.

In a non-equilibrium situation, it is possible to have more of the system in the higher-energy state; given time, this configuration will relax and return to equal parts in the two states, but while it is out of equilibrium, the equation technically defines its temperature as being negative. However, since you must put in energy to excite the system to this non-equilibrium state, and temperature is equivalent to energy (in some sense), negative temperatures require more energy to achieve and are thus 'hotter' than even infinite (equilibrium) temperature.

Basically, it's a problem of definition and the fact that thermal energy is 'random' and just as likely to excite one part of the system as de-excite another (so on average the populations will be equal even at very high temp), while other types of energy are 'focused' and can specifically target the low-energy states, exciting them and yielding negative temperature (non-equilibrium) states.
    Huh, that's really interesting. Do you have any examples of negative temperature? I think I get the idea of it but can't quite picture a situation where this happens...

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

aye, I'm starting to think I wasn't paying enough attention in class. I recall thinking it was absurd that absolute zero was negative 200 some, rather than zero. I remember a lot of celsius. I remember being told not to ask all these questions. I tuned the rest out.

So I probably missed a couple of the answers I was looking for, in favor of doodling my pokie mans.
    Yeah, it's -273.15 Celsius but it's just flat out zero in Kelvin, and changes on a 1-for-1 basis. (0 Celsius is 273.15 Kelvin) The reason for this, as someone already mentioned (too lazy to dig back through the posts to find out who, sorry ) Celsius is based on the freezing point of water while Kelvin is based on absolute zero.

I know, right? Now that's dedication. No wonder he wants her to come back; all that effort to spite a friend? How far would she go in a fight?
    Oooooohhhh... Good point! Remind me to stay on her good side. Wait, do liches have good sides?

Sucks. Me Da's alarm clock used to do that, just on the edge of hearing. Gave me nightmares.
    May you sleep sounder than I used to, man.
    It keeps stopping then starting again a few minutes later in a different pitch. I think it's coming from one of the elevator shafts (which my apartment is right beside, with my bedroom being the closest point) When I'm out in the hallway I can hear it clearly, but can't quite pinpoint where it's coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Thanks, everypony. The scary thing is tomorrow is going to be even more exhausting. Somehow I got roped into doing an awful lot.

Also, I should note, unlike Midnight, my family is pretty normal.

Uhm...except for the fact that I learned that I had an older half-sister when I was in my twenties. That was pretty strange, I guess.

...Maybe my family isn't normal.

A Midnight Nightmare Excerpt #5:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Elements.

They were the immediate danger. She did not know if they would have the same effect as they did as her former self, but they had defeated her twice before. She could not take that risk. Not with what was at stake now.

But she had realized it, the Elements weakness. Six Elements there were, therefore six Ponies made the balance of Harmony. Remove one, and the balance was destroyed. Remove one, and the others could not stop her.

Kindness. That was the one she had chosen. The one who lived far enough from the others that they would not be able to attempt a rescue. There she was, tending to her animals.

Aunt Fluttershy! Aunt Fluttershy! Can I help feed the bunnies?

There was no need for subterfuge. She was but a pegasus without the others, and one beset by fear at that. She landed before the stunned, custard pelted pony, bathing the pegasus in all of her glory.

T-Thanks for the splint, Aunt Fluttershy...I guess I was putting my hooves before my head. Oh, my Mommas are gonna kill me..

The look on her face. Shock, yes, but not fear. Relief...relief and worry. Kindness took a step forwards, not a step back. She called out her name.

Here, Aunt Fluttershy, let me pour the tea. It's easier for me.

Why...Why was she hesitating? She had but invoke the magic that was on the tip of her horn, and Flutter...and Kindness would be no more of a threat. The Elements would no longer be a threat. It was so simple.

Did you *really* stop a dragon, Aunt Fluttershy?

No! No, for her sake, she would do this!

The magic was invoked. Fluttershy's eyes widened, as she began to dissolve into colorful smoke, a bottle appearing before her. A single word escaped her lips, her name once again. She turned her head from those eyes filled with betrayal, before Fluttershy disappeared into smoke, the wisps filling the bottle and sealed inside.

It was done. She was victorious.

Then, what...what was this feeling inside her?

It's guilt.

She had done what she had needed. She had eliminated the threat to her plan. Then why...why did her chest feel so heavy?

You feel guilty because you love her. After all, I should know...

Something was rolling down her cheeks.

You've been with me all my life...

They were tears...
    Oh gods you're actually doing the djinnification spell too. This is awesome.

EDIT:
    OH GODS THE PITCH IS AT IT'S HIGHEST YET.
    Last edited by Kyouhen; 2011-08-05 at 11:37 PM.