1. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XIX: I Emptied Your Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Ah, math. The only area where you can create something called an Imaginary Number and use it to prove yourself right. I swear they actually stopped trying to make math sound like something real when they invented the Imaginary Number. It's like they realized nobody was going to call them out for making things up and just stopped caring.
    Mathematicians. People who need to know nothing and make up stuff and yet make us believe they practice the purest form of science. Link. The economist in me respects that.

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Hm... if we allow species barrier to be crossed, Fluttershy/That green dragon from Owl's Well That Ends Well.

Non-species barrier jump, Blueblood/Fluttershy is probably as miserable a pairing as the show could give us. You have the ultimate jerk paired with the ultimate doormat. Blueblood would have to threaten somepony besides Fluttershy to get her to snap out of it and defend herself; Fluttershy always needs somepony else to be in danger before she acts.
    I think FlutterGilda is worse. Blueblood is an uncaring jerk, but he doesn't try to actively hurt people.

That'd be in line with Doctor Who, except that each individual time lord only has 13 regenerations, and the hourglass is a VERY popular background cutie mark.

@ WJ: I wouldn't recommend Who; it's possibly one of my least favorite series ever. It's taken Doctor Whooves being a popular background pony for me to have anything but rage at the series in general and its title character in particular. I seem to have a minority opinion on the internet, though.
    Huh, I thought I was the only person in the internet who doesn't care for that show.

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Thanks, everypony. The scary thing is tomorrow is going to be even more exhausting. Somehow I got roped into doing an awful lot.

Also, I should note, unlike Midnight, my family is pretty normal.

Uhm...except for the fact that I learned that I had an older half-sister when I was in my twenties. That was pretty strange, I guess.

...Maybe my family isn't normal.
    Pffff. If the "worst" in your family is an unknown half-sister I'd consider it in the range of "dull and boring". People make mistakes and reconsider things and change. Every family has it's stories and secrets.

On an unrelated note: I was too tired to add to Semper Fi today, so I'm just rereading it and doing editing tweaks. One thing I noticed was an answer to the question, "Why would Apple Bloom prefer to go to Soarin over Big Mac in that future scenario Welf imagined?" The answer is: I portrayed Big Mac as being authoritative, in a quiet way. She has a friendly relationship with Big Mac, unless she's done something wrong or she has to ask for something. Then she's nervous about disappointing him, so she prefers to ask everypony else for something, choosing Big Mac last, even if he's the logical choice.
    Some other suggestions:
    Soarin is more competent in some fields and has more experience. He has seen a lot of Equestria while touring with the Wonderbolts. He lives in the court near the centre of power. Also he had probably a very good education since he is from a noble family. His parents might have called some favours to get him in a good school. He might have gotten further education at the Wonderbolts, maybe even an university degree. (In modern German military it is expected for officers to have one, and for non-commissioned officers to have an certified training/apprenticeship, although physically demanding fields are the exception). I don't think he is smarter than Big Mac and I don't think the formal education was his thing. But he was in contact with a of different ponies and their ideas and that's a pretty decent catalyst for gaining knowledge.
    Or maybe Applebloom underestimated Big Mac because she is close to him while she's impressed with Soarin's rank and title. People and probably ponies alike tend to be blended by fancy new things.
    Or she doesn't want to bother Big mac because he has a lot of work to do, while Soarin as guest has to do nothing and is eager to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    German Applejack has the greatest accent ever. Watch it for that alone.
    I didn't expect this to say: I liked it. Applejack does have the greatest accent ever. They really had a ingenious idea with that.
    Last edited by Welf; 2011-08-06 at 05:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin