View Single Post

Thread: Eastern Tarthenol [IC]

1. - Top - End - #266
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eastern Tarthenol [IC]

You hear the hammering continue as the sun continues to set. Eventually, Flatterly dexterously climbs back out of the hole and addresses you and Augh,
    Well, there's the rope set down most of the way. I didn't hammer anything in the last 30 feet or so since the light was poor, but worst case is you drop that distance and that won't do much harm.

Now.. whatever nasty is in the cave probably doesn't care if it's night or day, but we're all tired from marching and I'd rather die with a nice nip of breakfast in me. I'll make camp for now and we'll head down with the dawn.

With that, you all set up camp and settle down to sleep. You notice that Flatterly subtlely positions his bedroll so that you and Augh are between him and the cave entrance. Despite this ominous note, you sleep through the night and awake fully rested. Augh prepares trail sausages from his provisions for breakfast, and you put on your climbing harness while he cooks. Fed and prepared, Augh is the first do go down. He has no climbing gear and seems to have some difficulty with a few narrow places where the sword on his back keeps hindering him. When he reaches the bottom he sets up an open-lamp and calls for you two to follow him. Flatterly waves his hand towards the hole,
    I'll follow from behind you. I can mask the spikes so no traveling bandits see them and decide to setup camp to wait for us to exit.

With the sun still rising, the shaft becomes dark very quickly. After twenty feet the walls narrow and the only light comes from Augh's lamp below you. You squeeze down, thankful for the reassuring pitons embedded in the walls, and your harness attached to the ropes saves you more than once as you feel your footing slip.

Skill Check
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-1)[2]

As you feel Augh's light getting closer, you notice the rope become looser in your hand. You realize this is the point Flatterly mentioned where he had stopped hammering in the spikes. You try your best to be careful as you climb the last stretch, but panic flares up in your mind and your palms being to sweat. You lose your grip and fall.
    Last edited by 0nimaru; 2011-08-15 at 07:57 PM.