View Single Post

Thread: [Nexus] That Day Has Come

1. - Top - End - #402
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] That Day Has Come

Quote Originally Posted by Saurous View Post
    MagFirmary

Saurous nods at the Magbot as he removes the armor from Moon's torso and carefully sets it off to the side.

"I...I understand. I'm not exactly thrilled about it, but I understand," he says, turning his somber gaze down to Moon. He reaches down to gently stroke the side of her face again. There's a long pause before he speaks again. "I would like to wait and discuss it with her before doing anything decisive, though. Let's just try to keep her comfortable and stable for the time being."
    "Indeed. Certainly not anything to decide upon a whim, and without patient consent. That'd just be unethical, and m'lord would be extremely upset if he were to ever find out about such a thing occurring in his own infirmary.

Now then, if there's nothing else to discuss, I have orders to go wheel the comatose patient from the room adjacent yours outside, so that she may be fired out of a cannon. Goodbye, Mr. Kaer."

The Magbot keeps an entirely neutral look on its shiny chrome face as it says all of that, completely oblivious to the startling amount of hypocrisy in what it just said as it steps away to have Zee's braindead body moved elsewhere.

MagCave Foyer

The speech-making clone clears his throat.

"Right. So one last thing I just remembered, is everyone familiar with the Eye of Derleth and Elder Sign?"

Magtok holds up a pair of palms for all to see as he speaks. His shiny left palm, the one clearly much more capable of dishing out a punch, has been marked with a very fancy-looking Eye, flawlessly imprinted there with purple paint. His fleshy right hand, by contrast, has had a Sign quite crudely cut right into it. The cut still looks pretty fresh, and fairly deep, as if Maggy was going out of his way to cause it to become a big ugly scar later. There's a few band-aids on the back of his hand, suggesting he might not have originally planned to go with the palm at first.

"The Eye of Derleth here on my left, and your right? You put it on a weapon, it lets you hurt eldritch things better. The Elder Sign on my other hand, it's a defensive measure. Doesn't stop things from just grabbing you by a leg and sucking your bones out, but it does act as a shield against their more exotic methods of attack. I can assure you all that this is all solid fact. Zee told me herself, shortly before her passing.

Anyways, everyone is required to have the Sign on their person somewhere at all times, for their own safety. Doesn't have to be as messy or permanent as my example here, but it is a requirement for living here. I don't care if you get it tattooed on your back, stitch it into your clothes, carve it into the cover of your favorite holy book, or even draw it on your underpants-"

Magtok shoots a look at Kal, a weary sort of "Yes, I know exactly what sort of thing you're going to do, and fine. Go ahead, you immature little sex-weasel. I've got Magbots, I don't need to check you personally to make sure you have it."

"-just as long as it's there. Everyone understand? Good. Now if that's everything, I'll just be leaving for a little while. The Magbots want me to go look at some notes another scientist sent over, so I'll be doing that for the next hour or so. Pester another clone if you need anything."

Magtok waves a hasty goodbye to his audience, and walks away with a cheery smile. As soon as everyone's out of sight and he's ducked away into his room though, he immediately breaks down into sobs, mourning the days that have passed, fearing those that will come. The friends left behind by the split, the fun rivalries and battles that now just seem pointless, the shaky peace he'd fought for years to achieve, the fiancée he'll never hold ever again...They're all gone, and nothing will ever bring them back.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2011-08-15 at 09:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi