View Single Post

Thread: GitP PrC Contest XXX: Into the Light

1. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest XXX: Into the Light

DEVOURER OF LIGHT

You are so blind, you can't see the way that the light is defined by my darkness.

A shadow is light being blocked; this is a well known fact. What is less well known is that there are those who walk around, and their shadows are not mere holes in light; they are voids, consuming the light that they come in contact with.

In fact, these shadows are so dark that their owners cast a second shadow, a shadow of light...

BECOMING A DEVOURER OF LIGHT

The Far Realms doesn't only have material forms for its inhabitants, you know...

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Skills: Hide 8 ranks
    Special: Must be able to use Darkness as a spell-like ability, Form Points.

Class Skills

The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are....

Skills Points at Each Level: x + int

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Aura of Light Consumption|Consumed Light

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Aura of Devoured Light, Changed Essence|5'|4

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Devour Light (Remove Light)|10'|8

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Excrete Light (Shadowy)|15'|12

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Fade into Light (Hide in Plain Sight)|20'|16

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Devour Light (Sinister Darkness)|25'|20

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Excrete Light (Bright)|30'|24

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Fade into Light (Inflict Sensitivity)|35'|28

8th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Devour Light (Wellspring of Sickened Light)|40'|32

9th|
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Excrete Light (Daylight)|45'|36

10th|
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Lurker in My Own Darkness|50'|40[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: I gain no more proficiencies, in weapons or otherwise.

Aura of Light Consumption (Su): Life is rather difficult being me; due to changes in my connection to the Far Realms, I have lost much of my "standard" abilities. However, I do get this...

I consume light produced around me, in a radius of the size indicated on the table above; mechanically, this is dealt with by reducing the illumination level by one step, from Bright, to Shadowy, to Darkness, to "Magical" Darkness (I treat this as a spell of a level equal to my class level.), to Darklight.

Darklight, for those of you who are not aware, is absolute darkness; no normal light, natural or otherwise, may exist within an area of Darklight. If darkness is the absence of light, Darklight is its inverse. Nothing within the bounds of the multiverse may see through Darklight. Any form of magical light or natural light that tries to enter is automatically either destroyed or dispelled; this translates to a perfect defense against light-based spells, such as spells with the [Light] descriptor.

This aura only appears while I am manifesting my true form, and supplies me with a number of Form Points equal to the amount in the Consumed Light column.

Quite snazzy, isn't it?

Changed Essence (Su): It is a sad thing, I must admit, becoming a Devourer. Firstly, my beautiful, beautiful True Form has been crippled; I no longer gain extra form points from a high Charisma or Constitution.

However, there is a perk extracted from this; my Features are MADE of light (spiffy, I know), and what's more, its special light; for one thing, they can exist in an area of Darklight. As such, however, they do not illuminate anything except themselves, as I just devour the light as it leaves them.

Besides that, there is the fact that I still advance my good old True Form (levels I take in this class stack with Ozodrin levels for the purpose of how many Form Points I get, the Features I can access, the augments I can access, and the Manifest Form ability), and oh, did I mention...

I also have Blindsight out to the edge of my Aura of Light Consumption. Yay!

Finally, my stomach doesn't grow as fast... half of my levels in this class are added to my Ozodrin level for the purpose of the Primary Stomach class feature.

Devour Light (Su): I eat light, OK? This isn't too odd, alright?

At 2nd level, my Darkness-as-a-SLA ability changes; the Darkness effect is replaced with a Supernatural ability called Remove Light, which has the same limitations on its use that the old ability had.

All this does is completely extinguish all sources of light within 100' that are of up to one size smaller than I am; this excludes my Features, of course. If I do this, I'm treated as if I had just used Devour on a creature, and don't have to eat or drink for 24 hours; scrummy! This is a standard action to use, and has an Instantaneous duration.

At 5th level, this improves; if some creature within the radius of the Remove Light ability is left in darkness (or even lower illumination), I can, at my option, use the Swallow Whole ability as a normal Ozodrin, as if that creature was grappled! I can only do this to a single creature at a time, though.

Finally, at level 8, I get a snazzy little addition to this feature; all light sources near me, besides my Features, of course, are reduced by 1 size after I use Remove Light, and have the illumination that they produce lowered by a step, as if all the light that they produce was within my Aura of Light Consumption. This effect only lasts an hour, and doesn't stack with itself, but it does stack with my Aura of Light Consumption...

Excrete Light (Su): I eat light, and well, the left-overs have to go somewhere.

At 3rd level, I begin to sweat a minor amount of light. As long as I'm in my Manifest Form, I produce light with the intensity of a candle from my body and any features that I have; this light isn't affected by my Aura of Light Consumption (would you drink your urine? I didn't think so), but the intensity of the illumination is reduced by one for a round by Remove Light.

At 6th level, this sweat gets a little more intense; I now produce bright light up to 5' away from my body and features, and then have an area of shadowy light for 5' beyond that.

At 9th level, the light becomes truly intense; a 5' area around my body and features is treated as if it was in the radius of a nonmagical Daylight spell, with 5' of bright light beyond that, and 5' of shadowy illumination beyond that.

Fade Into Light (Ex): I eat light, and so I can hollow out a space in it for myself.

At 4th level, I gain the Hide in Plain Sight ability.

At 7th level, I do that one better; I can increase the intensity of light around me by eating away just the right parts, causing it to collapse in on itself, thus causing every enemy creature within my Aura of Light Consumption to gain Light Sensitivity for as long as they are within my aura; if they already have Light Sensitivity, they are inflicted with the normal effects of Light Sensitivity while in shadowy illumination, and are Blinded in Bright light or Brighter. This Blindness lasts as long as they remain inside the Aura of Light Consumption.

For the purpose of this ability, treat my Aura of Light Consumption as if it doesn't exist.

Lurker in My Own Darkness (Su): Ah, yes, the last level of this class; I loved this part.

First of all, my type changes to Aberration, with both the [Light] and [Dark] subtypes.

Second of all, my Aura of Light Consumption now reduces Illumination by two steps. Go me!

Finally, whenever I use Remove Light, on the round after that ability is used, I produce an effect equivalent to a Daylight spell that has the same radius as Remove Light.

Note: As a creature with the Light and Dark subtype, I now am immune to all Prismatic spells and all spells and effects with either the [Light] descriptor or the [Shadow] descriptor.
    PLAYING A DEVOURER OF LIGHT

I hide in the shadows, producing terror wherever I go. Of course, since I produced those shadows, they really do have something to fear. Thanks to Hide in Plain Sight, I can easily hide from their view; and while they are in my aura, they become blinded by their own damn lights.

Combat: I run around, extinguishing light and laughing at those pathetic people that can't see. Then I devour someone when I put out the light, or beat them with my body parts, which suddenly blind them.

I love my life.

Advancement: I can go anywhere that a normal Ozodrin can go, though my "unique" ability to eat light might turn heads. Oh well, who cares?

Resources: Besides sunlight? No one, really; everyone who can't eat light sees me as an enemy, and everyone else who can eat light is competition.

DEVOURERS OF LIGHT IN THE WORLD

The only goddamn warning we got was when our torches went out; then the guy we were taking into custody started glowing, and grinned a really toothy smile...

A brief description of how your class is persevered in the world and how he interacts with the world.

Daily Life: Some general information about the typical day in the life of your class.

Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).

Organizations: Some information about organizations dedicated to the practice of your class and other organizations which members of your class will be attracted towards.

NPC Reaction

This is an in detail description of how NPC's would perceive your class and the immediate generalization that people would give of your class.

CLASS NAME IN THE GAME

This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.

Adaptation: This is a place where you put in detail how people can adapt your class into their campaign setting.

Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Sample Encounter

Give an example of how one might encounter a member of this PrC.

EL x: Give the encounter level and description of a sample member of this class and a stat block for him/her.

Name
    alignment/Gender/Race/Levels
    Init +0, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
    Languages
    ------------------------------------------------
    AC , touch , flat-footed ()
    hp ( HD)
    Fort +, Ref +, Will +
    ------------------------------------------------
    Speed ft. ( squares)
    Melee
    Base Atk +, Grp +
    Atk Options
    Combat Gear
    Spells Prepared
    Supernatural Abilities
    -----------------------------------------------
    Abilities Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
    SQ
    Feats
    Skills
    Possessions
    Last edited by Amechra; 2011-08-27 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!