Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen View Post
Where do people get this "good game design" thing from?
If you think something doesn't need changing or shouldn't be changed or worked around, you're accepting it, implicitly, as good game design.

Because if it were bad game design you would attempt to fix it if you really wanted to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen View Post
And for what it's worth, this isn't Peter and Paul.
No, it is Peter and Paul, because those are the players.

And if you have to spend actions to let another player's character do anything given that they haven't been actively taken out of the fight somehow, that's just bad and not something that you should expect people to enjoy.

And if you have to pool the party goal in order for another player's character to contribute at all, then that goes beyond the class being "a little weak," and clearly goes into "the class is a troll class and sponge" territory.

Knowing this information and accepting the set up that you're presenting, the person that makes the willing decision to play a Fighter is saying to the rest of the group "Hi, you know that gold you guys earned? I'm going to be demanding it now from the word go." Which makes playing a fighter into less of a underpowered option and more of an "I'm actively sabotaging the rest of the group's characters" kind of situation.

And RNG help you if two people want to play Fighter, I don't think you'll be able to shaft the rest of the group out of enough gold to make both of them able to contribute in this way.