Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen View Post
People have already pointed out that wizards need a lot less to be useful. I mean, I understand people have their own playstyle so I'm not going to say you're wrong (sorry if I have in the past, I don't mean to) but I really don't see this "sponge/trollclass" thing.

I'm in a band in my spare time, and we have this band fund. To put it simply, some equipment is way more expensive than other equipment. If all funds were spread evenly, a lot of people would have to go without the things they need. But I don't want to have equal funds. I want the band to work well together. So we'll divide the money in such a way that everyone gets something out of it.

I see the party the same way. I want the group to fight monsters without anyone dying or being useless. I dont care if I have to divide wealth to do that.

The dm can help with this too. Drop a couple magic swords or something and the wealth becomes less necessary. Give the party more wealth so that they can afford to pay a more magic item dependent class.
The problem is, this isn't the way the game is balanced. If we were expected to give one class more wealth than another because they needed it, then that would be included as a class feature. Instead, we have the wealth by level table which is the same for all classes. So while you may not agree with it, a fundamental assumption in D&D is that yes, wealth is being split evenly among all party members.