Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
You see no possible way in which it could be interpreted that intentionally picking a class which will place a metagame obligation on others to give their gold to you could be viewed as a less than polite thing to do? Really?
Not unless you make it one. I feel it's equally impolite to choose to play a wizard/druid/cleric when I play a fighter. Selecting a playstyle that is incompatible with your group's dynamic is generally a bad idea, but doing so as a fighter is not something I find all that different from doing it any other way.

The solution to all of those problems is to talk to the group before making any sort of character. I typically assume the party is going to do their best to make sure they aren't upsetting the other members.

Either way, wealth by level was only my example. There are plenty of other ways magic can help mundane, many of which don't negatively impact casters in any way even as individuals. For example...

Quote Originally Posted by LordBlades View Post
Also, what happens when it's not fighter and wizard(which do have different focuses optimally; the wizard can melee better than the fighter, but it's usually better to sit back and cast spells win encounters), but let's say fighter and druid? The bear that rides a bear while summoning bears easily outfights the fighter, while still providing full spellcaster power.
Why would a bear ride a bear? How about instead, the fighter rides the bear? As I've said before, celestial aspect is a 3rd level spell that gives flight and also a couple other optional benefits, so have the druid cast it... On the fighter? Course not, the druid can cast it on herself. Now the fighter can fly. He can make full attacks via archery while the druid moves however she wants. If the druid wants to charge, the fighter can take out a lance and deal some damage as well. If for some bizarre reason the druid has low AC (lowered dexterity, perhaps, or something of that nature) the fighter can defend her with ride checks.

In this situation, I'm seeing the fighter as being sort of trivial to the fight in many situations. But he is fighting. He's providing at least a little to the battle and more importantly, the druid isn't really sacrificing anything for it. Turning into a bear was probably her plan anyway.