Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
Spoiler
Show
I see nothing wrong with a character grieving for their own occurring death. And as the different doctors have different personalities, their approach to their "death" would also be different. 10's feelings about it, frustration, sadness, desiring to last longer to see more, do more, are very real ones, ones that people can emphasize with. It's also one of the few times we the doctor face something that he knows he cannot beat. All in all, I found it to be a fitting end for 10.
Spoiler
Show
Sure some grief, it's expected. 2, and 5 also had some sadness to them. But there was no awesome to balance it out, just 10 being dramatic. Where's the excitement for the unknown? The revel and glory and wit of being the Doctor? It doesn't matter how reasonable the reasons, watching a guy mope about and whine is annoying in real life and even more on screen. Knowing that the guy will just transform as has happened 10 times before, and yeah.

Part of the problem is just how dull and melodramatic the whole thing was. Him appearing, looking grim, doing a random deed of good, nodding and disappearing. Repeat without variation for 15 minutes. Really. That was the most unnecessary sequence I have ever seen. We get how sad and final it is from 10's reaction to saving Wilf. After Wilf is saved, the plot just stops dead.

Also, and a worse thing overall, it sets up the taking over of Who by Moffat and Smith on a terrible foot. Honestly now, to me it felt like Tennant and Davies writing their own feeling about the switch.