1. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Actually, neither. A combination of long- and high-jump. They say that on a long jump you should reach a height of roughly one-quarter the distance you jumped. But I jumped over a picnic table the short way, going only about three feet "long" but about four feet "high".
    So we take 1/4 of 3' away from 4' because I would have gone that high just for jumping 3' forwards. Now it's DC=(3x1)+(3.25x4)=16x2*=32.
    *Because I didn't take a running start and doubt I have the Goliath trait Mountain Movement or the feat Leap of the Heavens.

(This is how I spent my summer when I couldn't find a job.)

I've also jumped up 4' walls without a running start before. I've jumped up a roughly 5.5' wall with a 10' running start.
    Surprisingly I've never tried long-jumps. I should get on that.
    That calculation looks a bit wonky. I don't think DCs are additive for jump checks. That would be like adding in the depth of the pit you're trying to clear.

Were this a game I were running, I would just use the higher DC.

Wait. This picnic table was higher than it was wide?

Regardless, a 4 foot standing jump is not something the average commoner can do. I believe the highest standing vertical jump in the NBA is something like 45 inches. Less than four feet. I think Jordan's 48 inches was on a running jump, but that's a best case-scenario from an NBA star.

Thus, you probably have a Str of 18, Skill Focus (Jump), Athletic, and 4 ranks. Easy +14 so far. Get in a fight with a cat and see how many hp you have so we can guess at your HD.

I think average jump height is 22.1 inches, which is 1.8 feet. Same DC as a running 3.6 foot high jump. Jump DC of about 14. Pretty reasonable number. I believe jumping a mere 28 inches puts you in the 95th percentile for male standing jumps.

You've got some legs, friend.