1. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Stormlord, D&D 3.5 Base Class - PEACH isn't necessary but you can if you like

Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    For Stormbolt, Stormstomp and Wrath of Titanus, you have to specify what BAB you're making the attacks at and/or which attacks you can "give up."
    Stormbolt doesn't use up an attack, the drawback is that you don't have your main hand weapon for a round. It's now clarified as a standard action though.
    Stormstomp doesn't require an attack roll, but now uses up your highest BAB attack with each weapon (so, if you're a level 11 Stormlord, you'd use up your +11 BAB mainhand attack and offhand attack, and still have your +6/+1 main hand attacks and your +6/+1 off hand attack).
    Wrath of Titanus doesn't require an attack roll, and it doesn't require you to give up any attacks other than one main-hand and one off-hand attack at the end, which uses the next main-hand and off-hand attack you would normally use.

Quote Originally Posted by Razoroftruth View Post
    I would change Wrath of Titanus to a certains numbers of time per day.
    Wrath of Titanus is simply Dimension Door with two very short-range Chain-Lightning spells (so a Level 4 spell + a Level 6 spell + a Level 6 spell), I personally think once an encounter is fine. *shrugs* Sorry, but that's staying the same.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Lie Detector needs a caster level and a DC for the saving throw. (I suggest class level and 10+1/2 class level +Int or Cha)

Inspiring Presence grants a bonus to damage rolls at level 1, but then not at any of the other levels. Was this intentional? Does the stormlord still give his allies a +1 bonus to damage rolls at the other levels? Additionally, this bonus should not be untyped. I suggest making it a morale bonus myself, that's what it seems like. The extra HD, do they grant points of BAB? Bonuses to saving throws? Skill points? Feats?

Does Stormbolt still get the bonus damage from Thunderstrike if the stormlord is not currently dual-wielding? Also, generally abilities like that give a saving throw...I would remove the melee attack roll from this ability and give it a saving throw of Reflex DC 10+1/2 class level+Int or Cha, save halves the damage.

Lightning Shield's DC is very low...I would add that 1/2 class level to it to make it more viable. Additionally, does the shield activate even if the creature attacks with a melee weapon that has reach?

The taunt definitely needs work. First of all, it needs the mind-affecting and sonic, language-dependent tags. Secondly the DC should be based on Charisma, as that is generally the ability score that influences social interaction. Third, it should probably consume a swift action instead of a free action.

Stormstomp is a bit of awkward math, but otherwise looks good.

Hand of Justice has the same low DC problem as before. Generally, most classes that have abilities that allow saves have them scale with level, so that the abilities get harder to resist over time. The formula is 10+1/2 level+ability modifier.

Wrath of Titanus is cool and useful.

I'm surprised Mountain Emperor doesn't grant immunity to electricity. Just seems appropriate. Otherwise, it's a powerful boon with a short duration. Sounds like a good capstone.
    1. Fair enough. Caster level is now equal to Stormlord level, using Strength as the casting stat.
    2. As for the damage buff to inspiring presence, that's a typo and I've taken care of it (the damage buff is now granted at all levels). I'll make it a morale bonus now which is fair. The extra HD only grant HP, and I've clarified that.
    3. Lightning shield DC will be changed. And yes, it activates against all melee attacks that hit the Stormlord.
    4. Not changing the stat on Tempest's Challenge. Just no. Lix has already said that this is a physical class, and I don't intend to repeat what she's already said. As for the action and the tags, fair enough, taken care of.
    5. Hand of Justice DC changed.
    6. Thanks. :) It was the last ability to be added.
    7. Well, the Stormlord already gets 5 + Con Modifier Electricity resistance from Lightning Shield. I'm glad you like it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dralnu View Post
    Level 1 is way too frontloaded and powerful. This is problematic in regards to dips and low-level play. At level 1 with full BAB, d12 hp, any armor, TWF and Oversized TWF for free, +1d6 damage on all attacks, and 1 free exotic weapon, you're noticeably outclassing Warblades, even making Wizards blush. I recommend distributing some abilities throughout the first few levels.

Inspiring Presence /lol's at Bards, but I guess that's ok. Maybe bring it more in line with bards?

Must specify. You mean he gets none of the attack / damage / etc bonuses but fear immunity?

Stombolt:
    You should specify that it's a standard action. Also, put the Ex / Sp / Su tags on your abilities.

Tempest's Challenge:
    A free action Save-or-Die per round against casters and people who would have to wade through horrible things to get to you? Ummm...

Go look at the Knight class in PHB2. They do this ability, except it's more balanced. I'd use it as a starting point.

Rest of it looks good. Very cool class!
    1. Understood, I can see where you're coming from. Giant's Grip has been moved to Level 2. Considering doing the same with Lie Detector, but most likely not.
    2. Eh, I'm kind of happy with Inspiring Presnce as is, but thanks for the feedback.
    3. Specified now. The Stormlord only gets the Fear immunity from Inspiring Presence.
    4. Tempest's Challenge is now a swift-action, and it's actual effect takes place on the target's next action. Still, I have no personal way of getting access to PHB2 unless there's a PDF available. So any ideas you could give me on balancing it any further would be alright.

Will answer more questions in a future post.
    Last edited by Fredaintdead; 2011-09-16 at 10:17 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n