View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #806 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: OOTS #806 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NENAD View Post
    What with all the negative levels being passed around, I'm starting to think the Giant wants to tell a lower level story. We currently have the Order pegged at around 11-12th, right?
    Wrong. They're all higher, around 15th, at least Durkon and V. Mass Death Ward is an eighth level spell and so is Power Word Stun, that V used when s/he and Haley were fighting the bounty hunters, almost 100 strips ago. Although Durkon may be lower level, I'm not entirely sure about the rules for divine spellcasting, and the Giant stated that he had been under the impression that MDW was a seventh level spell.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    One of the absolute funniest strips in a long time. Also, I think just about every time Thor shows up he is hilarious. Great strip.

Frodo arrives at the river, which suddenly and unexpectedly attacks the ringwraiths.

The battle at Helm's Deep is going great until Saruman suddenly and inexplicably destroys the wall with magic.

There are countless other examples. These things happen all the time in literature. What you are talking about happening at Mount Doom would of course be ridiculous, because it would be anticlimactic for the end of the trilogy. This isn't the end of the OOTS, however, just mid-battle, and is maintaining the tension and the suspense. The characters will show their inner strength plenty by adapting to these challenges. They haven't failed to have inner strength just because they can't predict everything that will happen. They are finite beings, after all, not gods. That makes them a lot more "human" and interesting then if they just kick straight ass all the time, and to be honest I like them more because of it.
    Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    I've not played 3.5 since 4e came out, but I thought that Heal would have restored Elan's negative levels. Am I mistaken in this?
    It might have restored them, we don't know yet because he hadn't done much besides wake up. If not, Durkon could cast the simple fourth level Restoration, as has been cited multiple times.
    Last edited by WickedWizard17; 2011-09-20 at 05:56 PM.
    Chairman of the Therkla Memorial Center for the Rehabilitation of Evil NPCs (One-eyed Goblins Welcome!)

"Let us remember her, not as a delusional sociopath with some form of abandonment/betrayal issues and a tendency towards narcissism, but as someone who loved, and who felt she was worthy of love." - deworde