1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: "She's One of Ours, Sir."- Rogue Trader IC

Tristram:

The pilots introduce themselves, and the most senior of them, a Lathe-born by the name of Alaric Mallear begins to explain the idiosyncrasies of your new charge.

"She's a fast and agile ship, helmsman, make no mistake; I've seen her outpace raider-class ships en route to her destination, which has been a blessing on many occasions. However, despite, or perhaps because of her naval heritage, she becomes difficult to control during combat, bucking as if she wishes to hightail it and run; she'll make your life difficult for you until you let her flee."

"Offensive armament takes the form of the twin Mars Pattern macrocannons attached along the dorsal ridge of the ship, capable of firing fore, port and starboard. Defensive armament consist of a number of Vulcan Mega-Bolter systems placed so as to provide full cover across the hull, along with three squads of Death's Head pattern assault servitors for boarding actions. All such systems have direct command links to the bridge itself, allowing for greater control during battle."

"Auger arrays operate at 150% of the baseline spec due to the ministrations of our Enginseers, as does the atmospheric processing. This vessel is also blessed with a warded hull working in conjunction with it's Gellar field, making our time in the Empyrean less harrowing. Finally, the ship possesses two mobile observation pods, referred to colloquially as 'the spider rooms'. The crew often race these pods along the ships spine, taking bets upon the outcome. The ship will list slightly to either port or starboard during these times, likely because her balancing systems are trying to compensate for moving objects outside their usual area of effect."

One of the others (Jacoby Santiago, you believe his name was) pipes up, a lopsided grin on his face. "That, or she's leaning toward the one she wants to win." Alaric gives him a look, then turns back to you, evidently intent on ignoring his subordinate.

"In any case, myself and Voidsman Joss will be happy to explain the controls to you. Do you require anything else of us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Pilot names and specialities:

Alaric Mallear, Helmsman.
    Antoinette Joss, Helmswoman.
    Jericus Strang, Munitions Officer for the macrocannon "Close Air Support".
    Jacoby Santiago, Shuttle Pilot.
    Wrax Tauron, Munitions Officer for the macrocannon "Friendly Fire".
    Rhia Wollsey, Shuttle Pilot.
    Magdela Cortez, Shuttle Bay Officer.
    Constantine Cain, Shuttle Pilot with dogfighting experience.
    Havelock Uriah, Sub-Quartermaster.
    Lyra Jastilus, Shuttle Pilot with dogfighting experience.

Novia:

Raltus sends you two messages, one which you expected, and one which you didn't. The latter is not pleasant reading.

Spoiler
    Show
    ++Incoming Transmission++
    Authorizing: Code Approved
    ...Benedum 21T-777 Cipher Approved

++
    Blessed are the Small Minded, for they have no room for Doubt. ++

[BEGIN ENCRYPTION]
    +++Message Origin===Sub-Quartermaster Atellus Raltus+++
    +++Message Priority===Medium+++
    +++Message Destination===Seneschal Novia Ephrael+++

My Lady,

Journ: registered astrocartographer for the Chambers of Gold cartography service, holds rank of Magnate Scrivener. Checks out as legit, as with all CoG personnel, noted for discretion. Unlikely to reveal information related to your enterprises willingly, as professional reputation staked upon it.

Footfall:

Artificial gravity failing frequently, new grav plating would be a surefire way to gain a foothold. Requires detour to an AdMech shipyard. May cause strife within existing factions. Intrigue runs deep, information might have a buyer.

Raltus,

[END ENCRYPTION]

Spoiler
    Show
    ++Incoming Transmission++
    Authorizing: Code Approved
    ...Benedum 21T-777 Cipher Approved

++ Success is commemmorated; Failure merely remembered. ++

[BEGIN ENCRYPTION]
    +++Message Origin===Sub-Quartermaster Atellus Raltusl+++
    +++Message Priority===Urgent+++
    +++Message Destination===Seneschal Novial Ephrael+++

My Lady,

We have been compromised. The encryption on your orders was cracked, and, in order to decode the ciphers, the agents tasked with your orders were traced; they were interrogated by an unknown hostile faction, one of them breaking under torture and telling them the codes. One of the survivors managed to get this message to me, and I dearly hope you are still preparing to depart, and not walking into a deathtrap as we speak.

I do not know the identity of these assailants, but I am confident that Journ himself is not affiliated with them; his message was sent several hours prior to the attack. If he were with your enemies, they wouldn't have needed to resort to such crude measures in order to find out your intentions. They will undoubtedly be waiting for you should you proceed with the transfer, but I see little alternative; he has the information that you require, and this hostile faction may well be inclined to take them for their own benefit, especially if they have caught wind of your captain's plans.

I hope that, if this message reaches you, you have more foresight than I and can see a way out of this mess.

Raltus,

[END ENCRYPTION]

Jakov:

Dray meets your gaze levelly.

"Sir, I am not a psyker. All I've known about that thing was that it was a psychic map which neither you nor I could read. This is just guesswork, I know, but I'd say that the 'map' it showed her overloaded her mind a bit."

His tone has a very slight tremor in it, but he keeps eye contact through your cold stare. Behind you, you can hear Astrianna awakening, to the evident relief of Dray.

Astrianna:

Spoiler
    Show
    Navigation roll: In your half waking daze, you attempt to navigate through the dreamlike merge of reality and the void shown to you through the vision. This soon dispels itself as reality takes a firmer hold of your senses.

As you sit up, you get a distinct sense of familiarity with the star clusters around the solar system shown to you by the mnemolith. You're quite certain that you've seen them in your studies, if only you could remember...

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll a Scholastic Lore: Astromancy test. Fate points can be used to add an additional degree of success, or to reroll. You have 3/4 fate points left.
    Last edited by Askaris; 2011-09-24 at 05:15 PM.