Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
You know, Iīm beggining to think Mr. Burlew doesnīt give a damn about rules, using them as little more than "guidelines" than actual rules (thanks Captain Barbosa) in order to telll us a funny story. Of course itīs only my opinion.
Yep, he had a high level fighter take rough 12d6 +48 damage and not die. Average is about 90.

A high level fighter survives 90 HP damage! That could [blatant sarcasm]never happen by the rules[\blatant sarcasm].

I'm not seeing your evidence for ignoring the rules. I'm really not. Thog has no magic bling, his strength bonus even with rage can't possibly be higher than +9 at his level, and given the comic's general level of optimization could easily be much less.

The 90 or so damage you'd expect is significant even to a fighter of Roy's level, but depending on rolls (including Roy's HP rolls) it's quite survivable even with substantial prior damage.

The pillars being broken by that little damage may be unlikely, but they didn't instantly shatter or break, they broke when enough damage had been done to the structure, and Roy mentions his Knowledge skill to spot the right spots to apply the damage.

DougL