1. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Got a Real-World Weapon or Armor Question? Mk. IX

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    And here I was thinking that a sword is the only kind of bladed weapon that would never be called a glaive. Silly me.
    You should see translated Chinese. The modern translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms usually uses the term "sword", sometimes with some specificity and attached fancy title to describe the weapon that Guan Yu (Lord Guan) wields. The artwork in this modern translation quite clearly shows a Guan Dao, which is basically a glaive. So this goes both ways.

On the size thing, the term "span" is usually used in the same book for the Han era chi, which is some 23.1 centimeters. 7 span is thrown around as if it is impressive. 8 span is a big deal, reserved for characters like Zhang Fei and Zhou Zilong, and 9 span is left for Guan Yu, and a handful of characters that perform absurd feats of strength (read: Dian Wei holding a massive banner with one hand that dozens of soldiers couldn't keep upright). By modern standards - including modern Chinese standards, 8 span isn't even that tall. Just shy of 185 cm, whoop de doo. 9 span is, but even it is just under 208 cm, and that is hardly legends.

On a side note, its not exactly a realistic book. Parts of it are, and much of it follows history closely, then suddenly completely fictional characters are brought up, or some 12 span elephant rider with a whole host of tamed animals and soldiers in rattan armor are fended off by fire breathing mechanical beasts. Then its back to romanticized reality, just as quickly.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2011-10-16 at 06:05 AM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.