1. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: League of Legends XXIV: Today's Noob Strat, Tomorrow's New Meta

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    I have sort of a basic balance question to those infinitely smarter than me.

Armor and Magic Resistance both use the same mathematical equation to determine their usefulness. Also, we know how 100 in either means essentially double the effective hp in either.

So why are their two armor items that double effective health (essentially, Frozen Heart is only 99) but no magic resit items that offer the same benefit. Force of Nature is the highest, but after that nothing is above the 50s?
    I'd assume it's because while most spells don't scale with a 1.0 ratio with AP, every champion has at least one thing that scales with a 1.0 AD ratio, namely their auto-attack. Which also happens to be on a much shorter cooldown than all spells.

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    So, I've been playing more and more carries, because I started to get bored with not being able to do significant damage, and I realised I have no idea how to build a carry. I don't really understand when to build damage versus building attack speed, I don't really know how to properly utilize crit, there are tons of fancy offensive items for my carrying pleasure but I don't know which ones are actually good, I'm kind of lost. Does anyone want to help me out and give me, like, a "general" item list that should allow me to deal good damage with most carries?
    Essentially, you have to remember that attack damage, attack speed and crits all scale multiplicatively with each other - when you have a lot of attack damage, increasing attack damage by a bit will net you less of a damage-per-second increase than increasing attack speed by a bit would; if you have a lot of attack speed, you prefer to increase your attack damage, and so on.

I'm not sure I should be talking - I mean, I only have about 600 games played total so far, none of them ranked - but I'd say Infinity Edge->Phantom Dancer->Bloodthirster->Black Cleaver is just about optimal on most regular AD carries (with defensive items as needed in between, which means it's quite possible you can't get all four), as far as the progression of damage items goes. Or at least, it's not completely off on pretty much all of them.

I usually go Doran's Blade -> Boots (Berserker's or Mercury's, depending on the enemy team) -> Infinity Edge, with a Vampiric Sceptre somewhere in between while building it, for lane sustain -> Phantom Dancer -> Banshee's Veil -> Bloodthirster -> Black Cleaver or another defensive item, on more classic AD carries like Ashe or Caitlyn (with increasingly different builds the more atypical a carry it is).

EDIT: Ooof, Kinkou'd so hard.

@Daverin: You wrote in the previous thread that you sent me a friend-request on EU-W, but I never received any.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2011-10-20 at 10:19 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll