Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
So, because of this thread, I decided to get into the show. It's very good, for reasons I'm sure everyone already watches the show. Just one thing niggles at me everytime it comes on-screen.

Superman's treatment of Superboy...Doesn't feel like Superman. It shouldn't matter whether SB is SM's 'son' or not. SM's reaction to a troubled teenager has never been 'ignore him'. Especially because Clark was that troubled teenager at one point.

Even more annoying is that when Bruce sees Robin upset, Bruce's reaction is to spend time with the kid (play Basketball). So, I know the writers know how it's done.
The point is that Bruce has dealt with kids for a long while. Superman hasn't. Just because someone went through the same things when they were a kid doesn't mean they know how to address it from the mentor side when it comes time. Add to that the fact that Superman was raised from birth in a normal American family. Superboy doesn't have those young-age laying of foundations... he is a bit more troubled as a result.

I suspect Superman is going to come around. I don't mind that he is struggling with this. I enjoy seeing Superman struggling every now and then instead of simply being perfect all the time. I know he'll eventually come around and do the right thing, because he's Superman. But for now it makes for interesting characters for him to be a bit standoffish. Plus it adds layers to Bruce / Clark friendship now that Bruce is giving him advice on being a mentor.