View Single Post

Thread: My Little Pony XXX: Trixie Treats!

1. - Top - End - #579
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXX: Trixie Treats!

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpalbob View Post
    I am a huge fan of Statler and Waldorf, and riffing in general. I was raised on a steady diet of MST3K. I would LOVE to do a riff of some pony episodes. Anyone else interested?

I don't understand the technical side of such things, but I'm sure I could learn.
    I volunteer my voice. I've got a half-decent mic and no shame.

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Was I there? I mean, I don't really have a pony-persona, so. Did your mind make one up?

Or do I not count as a ponythread person.
    You count as a ponythread person to my subconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    You know, today I wondered if several ancient philosophers were just early trolls who liked to annoy people.
    If? I'm sorry, have you met Socrates?

Does it? Nihilism says there's not objective moral, and I haven't seen a rebuttal of that. I don't count increased pheromone levels caused by evolutionary useful behaviour as objective measurement.
    I don't particularly believe that there's objective morality either. But just because something doesn't exist doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Sure, there may be no true, universally applicable form of justice. But striving for that ideal has worth. I think that beauty is in the self, and that human beings can manifest beautiful things through the act of striving for beauty.

A photograph is not beautiful, what is beautiful is the photographer's desire to seek out and create that beauty. So 'fairness' is not an inherently beautiful concept but someone who strives, genuinely, for fairness is doing something amazing. The search for morality would seem to me to hold more worth than it's application. Hence why I'm a Virtue Theorist.

It#s not that easy. To quote Angel:

The point is, if the smallest act of kindness is the greatest, what does this make the greatest act of kindness? If it's also the greatest act of kindness, it would mean any amount of effort or effect will always lead to the same result.
    Haha, well played. But I wouldn't argue that point. I don't think the consequences have as much worth as the motivations of the people behind them.

by the way: I don't go around and quote Nietzsche all day. I like the increases of happy hormones in my blood stream when I act evolutionary useful.
    I do go around making decisions based on "who would the person I would like to have making this decision be?" My conscious mind may be a trick of evolution and my thoughts predetermined by momentum and physics - in fact, I don't particularly contest a number of nihilistic assertions. I just don't think that it changes anything even if it's true. Many folk use nihilism to justify inaction, which is primarily where my grievance with it lies.

TLDR: I don't need a higher purpose to be a good person.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-11-01 at 07:52 PM.