Personally, I would hardly consider the labels on the toys to be canon in the context of the show. The teams behind the toyline and the show are very segregated, if memory serves. The show team just gets a few calls now and then to be told to include X as something that is being made as a toy.

Toy packages can be mislabeled. The bios on toy packages can be terribly inaccurate . The toys themselves are often not accurate to the show. Characters made as toys may never exist in the show and show characters may never become toys. Characters existing in both might have additional accessories or an entire different appearance when it comes to toy-making.

There's a Pinkie Pie toy car. Does this mean that Pinkie Pie has a car within show canon? Not likely... though a Pinkiemobile might be full of hilarity.

Further...

I believe in audience interpretation. I believe that the interaction between the audience and a work is important in creating a work just as the interaction between creator and their work.

However, I also believe that what occurs in the work is what is established in the work. If a background pony is called a name in show, then I accept that that is that pony's name. If a pony is given a characterization in show, then I accept that is that pony's characterization. Within the show. In the context of the show. And what is established in show should be what should be used to discuss the show itself.

Does this mean that the previously created fanon names and personalities are discarded?

Its always been my belief that the background ponies as perceived as fanon were essentially original characters. They share the appearance of ponies in the show, but precious little else. What makes that character an actual character beyond a bit of hoofed scenery is entirely original creation beyond a few cues. Therefore, the pony that appears on the show and the pony that appears in fanon are almost entirely separate.

And if what is fanon and what is show is separate, then what occurs in show cannot overwrite the fanon character. For the sea-green pony in the show might look like Lyra of fanon, but she is not. And how she acts, what she is named, who she is, has no bearing on the Lyra of fanon save for some inspiration because she is an entirely seperate character existing in an entirely separate work.

---

Also, while you guys are mostly calm and polite, apparently the pony community at large is not about this. I'd like to make the simple black text suggestion that your admirable ability to ferment hate and anger at each over this issue continues to be exercised, lest I need break out the red text and make more than a simple suggestion.

---

On an entirely different note. Whenever Fighting is Magic is released, would anyone be interested in a GitPony tournament of the game? Preferably, soon after release date so that none of us have much time to practice and we're all relatively the same levels of incompetence.