View Single Post

Thread: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

1. - Top - End - #506
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime Discussion: Area 11

Fate/zero has got better. Boku wa tomodatchi ga sukinai is still the most fun thing this series.

Minami-ke... I kind of liked that.

Finished Madoka.

Spoiler
    Show
    The ending was better than it could have been. Didn't wipe out the character development, which is the main problem with 'reset button' endings.

Magical girls turning into witches was obvious from way before it happened. Mainly because its such a common theme.

The fight with Sayaka's witch is about the only actual deconstruction in the story.

The time travel thing was set up properly but the way the reveal basically gave us a new protagonist for the last 3 episodes didn't work that well for me.

Madoka's apotheosis was fun from a "wishing to be all powerful is usually an evil act or temporary" kind of way.

All in all it was quite good a series but while it was dark it really didn't do anything new in the genre. Sailor Moon had plenty of character deaths and (in the manga) gruesome monsters. Its darkness was more of a tone thing that came from the show's construction, magical warrior girl stories have always been day.

Now I just need to write a magical girl story based on Marxist political theory. In the name of the proletariat the bourgeoisie will be punished!
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2011-11-06 at 05:12 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.