Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Ok. Callin' it now.

Beeskee for Derpy in the Playground.

Current vote: 1

Target number: let's say 15. Any takers?
Fifthed!

I dunno. Kind of, but I think a lot of these lines of thought focus on a modern military setup. I would see Equestrian warfare being more like... A Song of Ice and Fire, myself. Anachronistic and backwards.
I've never been a fan of modernism or sci-fi in Equestria. Even some of the things they let into the show, like trains, is a little much for my tastes. I like to think of Equestria as firmly in a late medieval time.

I'm sure ancient rulers had their "special forces" too, however. You know, dedicated networks of spies and information gatherers working closely with the military. And of course rebels would have such a structure too, maybe even more so because they're forced to work underground and need all the advantages they can get.

While the show obviously isn't going to deal with war and such, I think such themes could work just fine in Equestria. There are royal guards and monsters, and apparently other nations. But again, I prefer it to stay medieval.

I recently had this idea that maybe Celestia's rule hasn't been completely contiguous over the last 1000 years. Or maybe Equestria has lost and/or gained territory throughout history. So much could happen in a thousand years.

That makes perfect sense! I don't think that's how they set it up, but it's a the very least a smashingly cool coincidence.
I doubt so too, but it does make sense to me.

I'm unsure why you specify lawmaking, but the rest sounds appropriate.

She is also artfully skilled at at what we now know of as psychological warfare. At the time, though, we referred to it as "It's in my mane oh Celestia my mane the bats are in my mane get them out get them out".

Those were troubled times...
Heh

My mention of lawmaking, like the rest of that part of my post, was entirely unrelated to the episode. Just a remnant of my reading of "Progress", I suppose. While I had plenty of concerns about that story, I did like some of its characterizations of Luna, specifically that she's a bookworm who likes to spend her time going through Equestria's laws and taxes.

After reading Nocturne I also really like the idea that she's a composer of music. I'm not sure why I never thought of it or saw any suggestion of it before reading that story.

This always perplexed me. Cupcakes wasn't that bad; my problem was I was sleep deprived enough that I couldn't visualize anything else for a while. Buuuut I used to watch the surgery channel all the time. So it doesn't bother me.

Really, this is just publicity. I trust you, specifically, enough to get a "it's a waste of time" vibe but most people who freak out over cupcakes just seem to be challenging me to read it.

Both of the other fics are also on my list. My "sure, I'll read it eventually" list. (target date 2138).

Seriously, cupcakes is an awesome read, if kinda short. Warning: video does not actually contain what I am implying. This is a joke. Have fun! Click the link.
I found Cupcakes just plain silly, I think I laughed more than anything while reading it. My expectations and imagination based on what I heard about it beforehoof was far more disturbing than the actual story. Which is probably the real reason why I tend to skip such stories initially, because I imagine them to be far worse than they are, and once I do read them they seem tame because I've already played with the story in my mind.

What I truly want from a story is to not know the whole premise from the start, I want to discover the story while reading, not in my imagination before that.

I'm sure if I knew nothing about Rainbow Factory other than its title and the fact that it is in the same style as Cupcakes, my imagination would still make the actual story seem tame. That's the problem these kinds of stories seem to suffer from, for me at least.

I can't remember what this was, just that I wanted to encourage it.