Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
http://bg.battletech.com/

Its now being ran by Catalyst Game Labs. From what I've heard its been making a fairly strong comeback the last few years, though not really having an idea of where it was 15-20 years ago and how far it dropped, I don't really know what that really means. Seems to be a decent group of players in Phoenix when I was down there. But where I'm at now I'm really the only player, but where I'm at now they pretty much only play 40k, so its not exactly a diverse set of people, its also an area without a lot of people.
Basically 40k got more mainstream and a ton of folks moved to that and it got a bit more rare to see anyone playing it at all. Recent attempts at reviving the title with the Dark Ages heroclix style games haven't made it come back fully but are helping with the name at least.

Of course... I come from back in the days of Rogue Trader when we had to order Imperial Robots and anything else from the UK and convert currency to british pounds etc. There were a lot more Battletech players back then, as well as historicals and things like that.

We had a boost in sci fi games in the early 90s with things like Full Thrust and such but then GW came along strong around 2000 and basically decimated the competition with their own stores in the mall. This decade has about 90% of the folks playing 40k or Warhammer in my local stores, due to the way that GW markets their products.

I seriously believe it is now easier to market an indie video game than an indie tabletop. Not that Battletech is indie, but it has tried very hard to make a comeback with catalyst at the helm.