I'm still bold
Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post
The removal of the save for half is only applied with a normal volley at normal damage. I should clarify that.
The extra damage only applies to concentrated shot (which allows the Ref save). It was clear, but that's the majority of volleying that's doubling there between the two...

This class and it's abilities only applies to those using muskets in large formations. Someone taking a dip in this and using bows/crossbows would gain no benefit at all.
In fact a dip in this class is only useful for the firearms proficiency. Nothing else can be used except during large scale battles using the HoB volley rules and only when the entire unit is armed with muskets. I know, but you can still enchant them and get characters with more attacks/round for your 'elite squad' no?

Yes a caster could just raise a wall of some-sort rendering the muskets useless. lol. Readied actions are my best friend

As for taking out lone targets well. The DC is not mutable or changeable nor are the bonuses. I don't know, maybe a block of sun elves with muskets would do super well. lol. The DC pales at higher levels, and half damage with good dice behind them is still good, and few laugh at the possibility of getting that extra dice/round, not to mention doubling that.

But given that on average you will need an 18+ just to hit and the damage is variable (you double the number of dice rolled, not the actual damage) the chances of a PC being killed by concentrated musket fire is low.I tend to call a fireball doing 20d6 double the damage of one dealing 10d6 despite variability. As I saw it we're attacking the square, so we have a decent chance to hit... Not to mention what no save does when this is used en mass at the little guys...