[Mother-Soon's Journey]

The elf nods in understanding. "I suspected as much. Then you should understand that you are going to have to leave her. She doesn't need you anymore, you'd only hold her back here. With that child, she has enough to contend with." There's little emotion in his tone.

Renetta undresses quickly and clothes herself in a fresh shift that was brought for her. Her old clothes are sent away with a servant. Lydia turns around after she's dressed and guides her to sit on the edge of the bed. Sure Renetta needs to sleep soon, but a little more talking will be alright.

"It's so good to have you home. Things can finally go back to how they were." She puts her arm around Renetta's shoulder. "You know, Calador hasn't married yet. I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear of your return."

Renetta blinks at her mother. "You're thinking of marrying me off now?"

"Of course not. I'm just letting you know. You were going to be married while you were gone, if you remember."

"But... what if I don't want to marry him." Her face does nothing to give away her thoughts.

"Why wouldn't you? He's handsome, wealthy, and very kind. You know. You've met him after all."

"Three times, mother. Three times in my whole life. I was only ten the first time."

"It was the same with your father and I, and look how well our marriage turned out. Besides, he's a very influential man."

Renetta shakes her head. "But... what if I want to marry someone I love?"

"Don't be silly. You will come to love him in time. It's how it always i-" Lydia stops, scrutinizing her daughter further. "You don't mean the- Waterstrider, do you? Renetta, dear, I'm sure he's perfectly nice, but he's still some manner of beast man, no matter how tame he is."