I think what's happening is disguised filler. It was probably a single long page of such interactions repeated, but split into tiny bits to make it last longer while the author tries to overcome a writer's block or focuses his time outside the comic.

With that said, I saw something interesting in the YAFGC forum so I'm quoting it:
Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://yafgc.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2091]Aebliss[/url]
I think I can see a logic to what is happening.

The community of the Black Mountain is ruled by the Dark Council, of which Alzaer'bith was an (already less than popular) member. Mahr'i is now on the Dark Council, and she is smoothing over problems that her sister not only allowed to wear on because she has a huge chip on her shoulder, but may also have started, what with her abrasive character. How long is it going to be before the Council as a whole starts to see Mahr'i as the more competent sister?

Drow politics are rarely nice or harmonious. At some time, Mahr'i must have been a potential candidate for the throne of the Drow, but she did not get the job. Alzaer'bith is apparently the more aggressive sibling, and that may well be why she currently wears the spiky crown and sits on the throne.
Mahr'i, however, is clearly a skilled diplomat and a 'people person'. When intelligence and the ability to convince people to do things your way are your weapons, you can see the virtue of patience, of waiting for the right opportunity.

For all her aggression and pride, Alzaer'bith is currently weak. She has been taken over by Kila and the Dungeon Keeper, she has been humiliated in the eyes of Lolth, she has been robbed of the Sun Elf slaves she was keeping, and I'm fairly sure that she is horribly unpopular on the Dark Council.

Mahr'i is finding ways to simultaneously smooth over problems and expand the Drow's power base.
  • The thing with the Goblins? If the Drow-Goblin relationship improves, the Drow benefit from the Goblins' frenetic activity in trade, raiding opportunities, etc.
  • The thing with the Gnolls? Cede some used caves to the Gnolls and remove them as an immediate threat to the Drow, while at the same time ensuring that everyone applauds the Drow for forging out into fresh, unclaimed territory.
  • The thing with the Dark Elves? When they first presented themselves, the Drow at least acknowledged them as superb archers. If the Dark Elves have their own terrirory, close to the Drow but not among them, and they feel at least slightly beholden to them, they make a fine and extremely territorial barrier against any enemies that might try to go through the 9th cave.

Mahr'i may be going for the gold, for the crown, not by going for her sister's throat, but by showing everyone who the competent sister is. If her own people do not immediately clamour for her as their new queen, then she can still move forward with the support of the Dark Council.
Alzaer'bith is a queen on probation from her own people, who are allowing her to keep the throne because no one else wanted the job.
Even if Mahr'i doesn't want to be in the big seat, she may be going for the position of eminence grise, the position of the power behind the throne. She would probably make a most efficient puppeteer; Alzaer'bith is... weakening.
The idea that she's giving away all that stuff not (only) because she's attempting to contradict her sister all the time and ingratiate herself to everybody else; but because it'd fit the long-term interest of the drows is intriguing. I don't know if that's the angle Rich Morris is going for, but if it is, it has good worldbuilding and storytelling potential for future arcs.