Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Is surprisingly good a particularly British phrase?
Probably not, I expect it was exaggeration for comic effect.

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
Oh god, the Myrka from 'Warriors of the Deep'. Yes that was the worst, worse than extra's wrapping tentacles around themselves in 'The Power of Kroll', worse than the giant inflatable snake in 'Snake dance' and worse even than the toy tank in 'Robot'.
The special effect so bad it killed Dr Who ( BBC Controller Michael Grade specifically cited the Myrka as an example of why he cancelled Dr Who)

Though I'm ready to be corrected, anybody got idea's for even worse Dr Who special effects ?
Think you've nailed the best(?) ones. The thing that tended to let them down for me was more the unconvincing fight choreography and guards who are completely incapable of even the most cursory search.

Although the pantomime Myrka (thanks!) was truly embarassing, I think Michael Grade is a bit disingenuous in that by starving the program of funds he prevented them from producing decent special effects. Mind you, there are ways and means of disguising poor costumes, and shooting them in full figure, in bright light, is not it!