Whee, busy day today. Wrapped up finals, finished the Duke Nukem Forever DLC, and launched into Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon as a post finals week brain relaxer.

The DNF DLC campaign was quite good for the most part, and contained some genuinely funny - and occasionally very good - writing. The final boss was rather bleh unfortunately, and a few of the early levels drug on a bit longer than they should have. I wouldn't have minded but they were very long on the dark grey corridor, and those grow monotonous quite rapidly. On the other hand there were a couple of new and rather inventive guns that were actually useful and common enough to be usable as something other than a gimmick. Overall I'd rate it at just ahead of the base game, which is to say a good time if you like your humor exceedingly bad and don't mind some less than wonderful graphics.

EDF: Insect Armageddon is, finally, a game that actually is crazy insane over the top and not just pretending it is. There may be more enemies in the first thirty minutes than many games manage in three hours. There's always about thirteen things blowing up at all times, and if you're not constantly shooting you're doing it wrong. Seriously, my right index finger hasn't ached like this since my last Sacred II binge. Nicely enough the story stays very far out of the way while playing things pretty straight. There's humor, but its usually fairly gallows in nature, and it never seems to go self-referential, which is a good thing. Something as ridiculous as this would go from amusing to painful if it started pointing its own ridiculousness out.