Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
Live is what we do - but we do more than live. When you curse, you're echoing a million sailors going back through history. When you slow down on a dangerous intersection you're acknowledging the unfortunates who died there. When you read a book you taste the actions of the author and every author who inspired that author, every conversation which he had, and which those people had.

If life is action, then action continues long after you've stopped. Which makes it all the more important that we try to produce the right actions.

This is an incredibly difficult position to articulate because it's so counter-intuitive. I've had this discussion before, against almost that exact phrasing (against a Moros).
Our actions top when we die. We produce results and give others guidelines. But they decide what they do with it. I may echo a million sailors when I curse, but it's my decision, my doing, to curse. My actions influence what others do, but I can't control it. If I go on a murderous rampage it may inspire others go on murderous rampages, too. Or it may inspire them to work for peace. Or have no effect at all. What happens depends on the individual. The only thing I can surely and directly affect is myself. And that ends with my death.

I'm not entirely sure what I wanted to say. I guess I need to think more regularly to train the clearness of my thought. But since I'm on a tangent anyway...

You might look into the basic ideas of Buddhism (disclaimer: I only have superficial knowledge of Buddhism, so please correct me if I'm wrong). They combine your idea of everlasting actions with the idea of mortality. One of the basic principles is that there is nothing immortal. So there is no transfer of souls, but the action of one individual determine the faith of his successor, his reincarnation.

Ponythread: Come for the ponies stay for the poetry and existential philosophy.
To quote a well-known mathematician: Eyup.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
We aim to please!

And by "please" I of course mean "kill with extreme precision" because shooting accuracy is held to a very high standard in the Aotrs. 'Cos we're professionals and all that.
Yeah, that's what it said.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

it has been explained already, but; no. It hasn't just recently cropped up, though it has had a resurgence of sorts. If the pile of business cards outside of the non-hypothetical hangar are any indication, Raz_Fox, then Candlejack went to Abductor's Anonymous and got help. now, he wanders by and invites folks to tea. It's no longer compulsory attendance though, unless he's slipping.

Though I will admit the urge to mention Candlejack and then leave an entire quote post undone has been quite strong at time
Okay, leaving a complete megaquotepost undone would be funny again.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
Hrm, although it's probably way outside the point, the science pony in me won't shut up until I point out that the spectral signature of what we would usually call noise (especially white noise) is quite different from what we would usually call music...

Anyway, that's beside the point and everyone may be well aware of it without me pointing it out, but since I had to learn how to do Fourier integrals at one point in my education, I might as well get something out of the experience, consarn it...
Fun Fact: There has been actually an movement who wanted to replace music with noises. (I think futurism). I remember a quote from music education about how people in the future (now) would enjoy the sound of a train like they would enjoy an opera today (around 1900).

Today is new years eve, and as I'm about to depart, I'll give my final thoughts a touch early.

I've always liked New Years. It's a good holiday. No strings attached; just a chance for joy. Midsummer nights so hot you can't sleep; dancing in the harbour and fireworks over the bridge. A celebration; an achievement for the world. It's a good day.

2011 has been a pretty good year. One of the best, I reckon.
Since 2012 already started in Australia, how is it? Could you give us a warning if it sucked?
For me 2011 has been a year of mortality. I noticed that I'm half as old as my mother, and around one third as my grandmother. My youngest uncle had been mistaken for my brother seven years ago, now he is greying and has back problems. The beginning of my life is over, now it's getting serious. Time is running out. Whatever I want to do, I have to do it now. Only 50 or 60 years left.