1. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 Magic System] The Codices of Spellshaping

Hey, no worries. I like dragons a ridiculous amount, too--as I've said before, the dragonheart adept is a re-imagining of my first homebrew. The entire reason I started homebrewing in the first place was that dragonfire adept and dragon shaman both left me feeling unfulfilled.

In terms of the question of gem dragon support...no, I'm not intending to move in that direction. For multiple reasons:

1. Gem dragons are specifically noted as being psionic in nature. While spellshaping is not Vancian casting, the flavor is intended to be sorcerous in nature.
    2. I don't like gem dragons. For whatever reason, they just...bother me. This might have something to do with the fact that I spent my childhood reading the Dragonlance books, which has basically shaped my view of D&D dragons.
    3. If I do gem dragons, I open a whole can of worms: the endless dragon family tree. Why not do everything in the Draconomicon? Well, I don't have an analogue for all of the breath weapons, for one thing. For another, some dragons would actually require more than one circle, meaning that you'd lose out on choices.

As always, though, I won't say that I'll never open up more totem dragon options. After all, I originally only intended to write seven circles.

On an entirely unrelated note, I've finished writing the mechanics and rules text for a new spellshaper/martial adept class. It's based on fighting with a light weapon in one hand and magic in the other, alternating between striking with your weapon and blasting with a spellshape attack. It also gets some basic magic niceness, such as prestidigitation at will and the ability to turn and counter spells. Unfortunately, I've run into a wall of writer's block with the name and fluff. So, expect that at some point in the next few days.
    Last edited by DonQuixote; 2012-04-19 at 07:07 AM.
    Homebrew I've written. Includes an entire index of the spellshaping materials, as well as a few other tidbits I've done.