1. - Top - End - #1030
    Banned

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXV: The Thread Everypony Should Know

*from traction*

I really like the idea of a recessed "handle" - I've been wondering what shape it would be - something like a ball on a stick, as it were (as opposed to just a stick) so you could get a solid grip across the whole surface and tilt it around easier, or, even, "the handle" nothing more than a cylindrical hole in the base of the weapon, leading up to a sphereical hole, in which the Jalyrkieon grip by exterting force on the whole surface of, a bit like pressure in a balloon, if you follow my meaning.
    That is what I was fumbling after, yes. The addition of a "cross bar" inside would only be for triggering mechanism maybe, and because it makes more sense for maneuvering the device.

The Jalyrkeion TK would be plenty good enough to do anything a human with fingers can do, so holding something and moving another one bit would be within the capabilities. So I'd guess than in the recess there would be a slidey thing, or maybe a lever
    Yeah, I did a poor job explaining that.

So, all things between a Jaegerpony and a human being equal, the human has an advantage in that actual solid meat has inertia and passive resistance, where TK only resists where it is focused. The required energy may be so low, and the strength of output so high, that the difference is entirely mitigated, but it is there.

The rest of this statement has stalled, though because A) you agree with the recessed button bit, and B) any and all responses to anything I say about trigger speed will be a variant of *slap* "autofire, ninny."

The thing about recoil is that the kick is equal and opposite to the direction of fire (the fact it pulls a humanoid hand off target is due to the way that the line of fire is above where it's being held and the resistance force to counter the recoil is being applied). An A-10's gatling, for example (which can't do anything but kick backwards) actually appreciably slows the aircraft down when it fires.
    I am aware. I also sort of petered out on it since as I went I realized more and more that it is kind o silly, and silly applied to warfare is just atrociously stupid....

I am also falling for the same bias, as some of my ideas require a hanging point of balance not in line with everything else we have discussed. My apologies.

Stuff like rifles or heavy weapons that require two "hands" probably have either a big grip to put "both" on, or more likely a second grip, maybe a cylidrical one "around" the barrel, further down... actually you probably don't need a second interior grip; just a thickened bit of the barrel, tough enough to hold onto would do, because that would be enough to help balance and keep in on the firing line, and it's not like you can burn telekinetic hands on the overheated barrel or something.
    This was my thinking. Near as I can garner, past a certain resistance point, TK cannot effectively both hold the weapon in place, and stabilize it. Since the TK does not have actual mass, I hesitate to think of it as a limb (despite emanation) because it leads to sloppy design habits, but a fluid pseudopod is best analogy. Wrapping a ring around the barrel with one 'limb' or even two for massive weapons, while supporting, firing and doing fine manipulation with the handle 'limb' feels most intuitive.

Though ever since I last responded I cannot help but feel they would be more terrifying with two good rifles, and two shields. Infantry that can reliably carry plates of tank armor and still return fire effectively scares me much more than infantry that outguns me 6-1.

Festival... I assume you meant vestigal, and your treacherous phone let you down...!
    ... Excuse me a moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright phone. I like you, I do. Baatorian Wastes, I named you after a principle of unity. But so help me, if you don't get on the ball I'll have my filly do MORE than just stomp you to dust.

Remember, you're a replacement.
    Remember what happened to your predecessor.
    And do your Water-stopping job.

Ok. You were saying, sir?

Actually, thinking about it, Jalyrkeion (infantry) weapons should always count as "on road" and "fully stabilised" since they're floating and thus not subject to bumps on the deck when running, even if the Jalyrkeion themselves are.
    Now see, this I have to question given what I know of he biology behind these things.

Proprioception.

Though apparently they've done a good bit more studying since... I forget I haven't actually gone to school for three years >>;

Anyway. The sense of location is emanating, isn't it? In that a gun wouldn't be held relative to the ground ("3 meters up, can't down by 4 degrees") without a second limb bracing at the ground to give relative feedback; the gun would be relative to the creature, say, 2 meters up, seven degrees of the midsagital line in the one o'clock position (or however the brain processes it; we would probably register it as an X/Y/Z coordinate map with all axises(?) centered at about the sternum). So if something jerks the creature, there will be a delay, but the emanative nature of its holding 'limb' would naturally displace the weapon until conscious thought caught up to it, because the powers would try to maintain the X/Y/Z coordinates in relation to the Jaegerpony, not to the terrain.

There are a lot of mechanics in here I'm not going to bother talking out, and I'll just say its like keeping a full cup level in a speeding automobile. So I would say they suffer no penalties from being in a moving vehicle, but that they would require an extra limb above and beyond what other races do to get stable.

... That may be what you said though, rereading what I quoted, so if so I'm sorry. I'm just stuck on the fact that without mass to provide passive soaking of kinetic force, a Jalyrkeion1\ would require more effort to stabilize a weapon. The greater strength of their TK compared to a humanoid would help, but it seems either devote all that extra strength to stabilizing a standard weapon, or have exaggerated accuracy problems with a larger weapon. My reasoning being a 150# man with a braced shotgun (humanoid) is going to have an easier time than a 250# professional soldier (Jalyr) holding the same gun loosely without properly bracing it.

As you have a more thorough knowledge of how they actually work though, I may be off-base. I'm just trying to cover as broad an array of useful bits as possible.

And if it's not too late, I think they should be a Shogunate.

funny pronunciations
    I have an excuse, actually. I get a particular form of dyslexia, where I slide things diagonally. In thick text, I have actually read sentence one, sentence two, sentence three, and slid back up to sentence two before stopping and reformatting.*

Also, initially, you had them written as Jalyrkieon. I-E-O is too convoluted for casual reading because there are no clues on where to parse it. Not only could each vowel be distinct, especially as you watch anime and so are familiar with Japanese, but both IE and EO are diphthongs, giving us a good 5-7 possible variants, on that syllable chunk alone. As soon as you said how to pronounce it, and (mis)spelled it as Jalyrkeion, it became much much easier because 'keion' is a distinct word chunk, the EI diphthong having strong priority over other letter combos - so I say "key on" or "Kay on" at that point and chalk the difference up to you speaking English and speaking American myself.

Hey new guy I haven't been able to respond to yet! Aquila.... Argh. I'm terrible with James (see above).

The code for putting whatever in a URL is I'm gonna go get some more bed rest now. get offa my lawn!
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-01-15 at 03:44 PM.