Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
I will confess that I don't know the first difference between an opera and a musical, but Avenue Q is a work of magnificent, magnificent art regardless.
Saw a production of it. I treated a friend to dinner and a musical for her birthday and it was wonderful. I have a shirt that says "It Sucks To Be Me" and when I was in school I'd wear it to exams.

I've been on a major Rome trip, specifically the album Nos Chants Perdus, and to a lesser extent Flowers From Exile. The latter is about Spanish Anarchists exiled from Spain to France after the Franco's Nationalists defeated the Anarchist in the Spanish Civil War, and the former is about their experience in France. I really love how melancholy, personal and world weary Nos Chants Perdus is. In songs like "L'Assassin", "La Commune", "Sous la Dague" and "Les Iles Noire", it really seems to capture the passion and dedication of those figures and the accompanying sense of melancholy and loss that came with their defeat and exile. It really comes out in the composition, Jerome's singing and the lyrics. Like jeez. Lyrical examples:

L'Assassin
Spoiler
Show

All banks and tanks have lost their charm
No one grieves the thieves
No one hails the dawn
But when the sun comes back
We will all be gone
A-shoveling, a-scheming
To help rebuild their walls
To make this world seem wrinkled and tired
No round fired, no assassins hired