I am giant fan of this series, including the last 100 strips, and the 100 before that, etc, and I just thought I'd say I love the D&D that is still mixed into basically everything.

Not that the plot and characters aren't fantastic, but the D&D rules that are still referenced quite often give interaction a structure that I enjoy. If this wasn't D&D-based, the last strip wouldn't have made any sense. Conjuration subschools having only teleportation magic? Presumably there would just be "magic". It would all just be funny latin names and bad-guy wizards that were "more powerful than anyone" until suddenly they weren't.

D&D rules force the writer to have some discipline. It helps not make some of the more irritating mistakes in a fantasy setting, such as extremely convenient magic that does whatever is needed, and inconsistent fantasy-world rules whose details save the heroes at the last minute.

Also, I think there are plenty of D&D jokes left. MITD made one about push/pulling in the last Evil arc...

So I'm going to presume that Rich finds that stuff just mostly uninteresting now and not completely uninteresting.

Nothing wrong with the guy expressing his opinion, though.