Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
Hmmm . . .
<sound of rustling papers>
Its around here somewhere . . . ah yes, here it is.
A selection from the letters of one from the frontlines.

From the foxhole, I could see the fiery glow of the HellCow receded into the distance. It illuminated the cloud filled evening sky with an ochre brilliance unseen in the short history of the playground. Brighter plumes of what could only be exhalations from the creature, cast eerie shadows across the desolate landscape.

Farther away, I could hear the low bass thoomb thoomb thoomb of the Giant's approach. There was no possibility of seeing him through the cloud cover, but occasionally I would glimpse the massive shape immulimated by the fiery breathing of the HellCow. They were converging on something in the darkness. Something that seemd to absorb the burnt amber light.

It let out a cry unlike any I had ever heard. A crackling thunderous thing that rolled through the cloud cover. But unlike the nervous fear it instilled in me, the bellow appeared to churn the resolve of our mammoth allies as they answered in kind.

The conflict lasted well into the night. We were involved in our own fight in the trenches, but every gout of breath from the HellCow provided us with a glimpse of the conflict happening on the horizon. Titans were fighting for us and we were fighting for them. I saw Wampinator swarmed by a mob of our attackers and lost track of him as the tide of the battle pushed me out of the trenches and onto the plane above. From there I saw the end.

I could not tell if it was a blow from the Giant, HellCow, or a combination of the two, but the dark shape they were engaged with began to crack. Jagged shards of light radiated from a point somewhere near the top of the thing. They spread across its surface like the spiderweb on a cracked pane of glass. The thing bellowed again and the mobs swarming our lines paused at the sound of no longer a colossal menace, but a wounded beast. I lost sight of the horizon as I fought my way back into the trenches through the press of madly scrambling bodies.

When everything calmed again, I heard the thoomb thoomb thoomb again. I peered over the edge and saw the two titanic shapes being slowly enveloped by the evening darkness. I watched them grow smaller and smaller for a few moments until turning my attentions to my fellow combatants. It had been like something out of a bard's tale or a dream. The details began to fade almost as soon as the song of battle had ended.

- Excert from letters sent home by Bogotter, former Mod Otter in the Playground

The continuing Saga Ballad of the Rich Baker makes me smile.