Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
That doesn't mean it's impossible, it just means the guy can't fight
If you've ever seen guys fighting who aren't trained, there's an awful lot of falling over involved - but if he's meant to know what he's doing listen to Thanqol.
I can't cross my room these days without stubbing my toe on a retroactive excuse.

If you go back through Thanqol's draw thread myself and others have linked to some stuff for drawing proportions and poses which will hopefully help.
I don't think I'm going to have the time this next couple of days to give the subject the attention it deserves. I will this weekend however, hopefully sooner.

The biggest thing I'm noticing from all your pictures are:

- Some general proportion issues with the figures, mostly small hands and heads (my own personal foible as well).
This is comforting. I like to think I'm getting the hang of it, albeit slowly.

- Stiffness/flatness in composition. For instance your Spacescape picture has everybody in an almost direct line. In fact the second from left figure (waving guy) has both his feet in line, and would have to have just walked through arms-behind-back guy to get where he is now. Unless he's doing some kind of sideways moonwalk ,which would be pretty cool as they are in space and would explain the other's expressions
This is the best interpretation, on all levels. Original idea was that leftmost guy had been following the young man closely and then turned towards the window, but there were a thousand and one better ways to portray this.

I make things to easy for me, when it comes to angles and viewpoints. You are most definately right, I need to challenge myself with more advanced compositions.

- The ruled bits look really... mechanical(?) compared to the other bits. In your earlier pic of the cargo container there is a very obvious contrast in the free drawn and ruled bits.
I'd attribute this to line weight mostly, check out the Art Upgrade thread for some exercises on that stuff.
I'll keep that in mind, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the clip, that was great. Bad habit, I will stop that.

Now, aside from the pants, these things are easy fixes with practice (which you've clearly got). For example if the perspective of the spacescape was rotated you'd be forced to change the positioning and poses of the figures relative to each other to fit them in.
Aye, aye.

Thanks a million for the feedback. If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason for your commenting now?

I drew an aztec jaguar warrior today. This is definately a motive I'll revisit in colour, it screams out for it.

Spoiler
Show