1. - Top - End - #1999
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    Step one: Break down all the existing packages by contents and assign those quantities to each existing user (making note not to lose anyone's signed copies).
    Step two: Update the Manage your Pledge page with checkboxes reflecting the existing quantities and allowing additional books and rewards to be added.
    Step three: Profit.

It's really not as hard as it sounds. And for what Kickstarter will earn from this project, they could spend a year developing it.
    It isn't as easy as you make it sound. The pledge amounts are only numbers and a descriptor in the database. The Kickstarter database doesn't know that $25 is an art print book or the $222 is seven books. Never mind that Rich hacked together his own workaround to make updateable pledges and even he doesn't know what every pledge means.

It also depends on how they set up their database; a change from one-to-one to one-to-many relationship can add another table and change the database design.

I do think Kickstarter should look toward making this an integral part of their pledging system. I think Rich had a really smart and innovative way of encouraging people to add onto their pledge and to follow the progress of the drive, instead of just firing and forgetting.

Technically, you're right, it's not a hard change when done at the beginning but with the pledge drive ongoing, I wouldn't mess with something that's working as intended and mostly fine.
    Last edited by Joran; 2012-02-07 at 02:47 AM.