Quote Originally Posted by Killercloud View Post
I really, really liked this rewrite, until I looked over some of the heritages and started to think, "Wow, these are amazing, why would I ever want to multiclass...uh oh."
Multiclassing should be a choice you make for building a specific character. Whether it's another base class or a prestige class, you should never be taking it for no reason other than "It's just stronger". This is a major fault with many of the official made classes, and one that I strive to avoid. A base class should be worth taking 20 full levels in.

Additionally, if PrCs were made based off this class, they would likely include some form of heritage advancement.

The Heritages (which I read last mind you.) read crank this class to power level 11. While still now Wizard or Cleric (though not far off in some cases) the balancing factors really go out the window with some of the abilities, especially at lower levels, and the capstones
Yes, they provide a lot of the power of the class. And while they're stronger, they still remain behind full casters in terms of power and utility.

I mean, at second level +2 defection bonus, AND +2 resistance bonus to saves, that affects allies within 10 feat as well? Why make a Bard who can give +1 (or maybe +2) attack and damage, when I can play this as an angelic style and boost the weak rear end characters, all the while lobbing deadly magical doom.
Note that Protective Aura only applies against evil creatures. And while that will make is extremely good against say a necromancer, it'll do little if you run up against a back of animals, or a neutral thieves guild, and so on. Additionally, 10 feet isn't that far unless you're fighting in hallways, and severely reduces it's usefulness for maneuverability.

Also, you play a Bard instead of a Warlock because Bard fits the flavor of your class better.

I do like the separated progressions for Invocations and Blast Shapes/Essences, but I think it should've been six not eight, only because of how precious a resource the invocations are (consider it that each one is like a bonus feat, as extra invocation is one that does something similar.)
Essences and Shapes often receive less love because they are just not as good as other invocations. Eight are available for 2 reasons.
  1. The symmetry of gaining an invocation every level flows better on both the chart and feels more natural, instead of having to remember that there are two levels where you don't learn a new invocation.
  2. This allows you to have 1 shape and 1 essence of each Least, Lesser, Greater, and Ancestry, so that each grade can get it's time in the sun.

I would like to also mention that as this stands now, a Warlock can do crazy damage, way more than any other class by 18th level. Warlock 15/Hellfire Warlock 3. Crucible of Fell power (I think that's the scepter's name, I am doing this on a night without sleep, forgive any failures of context), and the throat slot item from the MiC. Using a full charge from the scepter, add in Hellfire and a triple blast, in one turn you can deal 78d6 (or 78d12 for demonic) up to ten times per scepter and even without that its still 63d6 (or 63d12) which is a massive amount of damage.

This doesn't include chance for missing OR for critical hits. This is literally an average of 278 (or 507 for demonic). I mean...Holy...er Unholy Crap!
There are two items that increase an eldritch blast's damage: the Warlock's Scepter and the Chasuble of Fell Power. The Greater Chasuble adds 2d6 to an EB, while the Scepter can, once per day, add 4d6. Combined with Hellfire Blast, you're getting +12d6 (at the cost of 3 Con) for the first EB, and +8d6 for every other EB that day.

Eldritch Volley only allows you to fire three blasts at class level 18, not character level 18. I will amend that to be more clear.

Added to the base 9d6, you're looking at 38d6 total, or ~133 damage (~247 for Demonic). By 18th level that really shouldn't be too insane. It's certainly respectable, but it's nothing mind-blowing. Particularly since that is just about as high as you can take that damage, whereas other methods, including simple melee attacks, can rocket up past that with the same level of optimization effort. Heck, an unmodified disintegrate dishing out 36d6 damage at that level, and you can bet that isn't the most powerful option the wizard has available.

I can't really talk to the other mechanics because, well I really like them, I think they all mesh to the flavor you are building well. I just don't know if Warlock is a class that needs a power every single level. I mean, it seems that this build's power takes it to eleven, and the shrugs and writes on a little twelve and sees how much louder it can get!
I'm glad you like them! But every class should get things every level. Dead levels are heresy in game design. If you level up and all you're doing is increasing a couple numbers by 1 and rolling for hit points, you're playing a poorly designed class, full stop. This class is unquestionably powerful out of the box, but that is how classes should be - you shouldn't need hours of book-diving and intimate knowledge of the rules to make a class powerful.

I will admit I only read down to the demonic heritage, but that one caught my eye as going way over the power scale. I mean, I suppose it has something to do with my DM distrust of Homebrew, and what it does to classes, I mean this is literally tier hopping crazy. Yeah, anyway summarizing time.
Sounds like you got caught up on the damage capability of the Demonic lineage (which is it's main focus). It can certainly do some impressive things, but HP damage is easily replaced, and PO'd Power Attacking characters will still out-damage it.

I do admit that the class hasn't been properly tested, and the balance is only theoretical, so it's quite possible that numbers need to be tweaked. Thus far the only feedback I've had from actual play has been regarding the angelic lineage, and that feedback was very positive (even given the game had a very heavy evil focus).

I really like what you were going for, but the balance seems to disappear when triple blasting, and the heritages get together to make inane combos.
I'm thrilled you took the time to read through it and respond. It's the only way the class will improve. Balance is a tricky thing, especially in DnD where people play at such differing levels of power. The triple blast is a new addition, and it may be too much. I'm not really sure how heritages are getting together to combo though.

I'd love to hear your responses!