Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaz72 View Post
You dont understand, his question was (How long is this guy gonna stick around) Its a direct question that can only be answered or not answered,
Or you could have probed into the real reasons for his question, and gave him the assurance he was looking for.

if i go around saying -Oh I guess you didnt like him, I'll do something about it next session- Ofcourse he will know the person is for some reason going away next session. The paladin himself isnt a storyarc, and he was a minor character. He stuck with them for -one- session. And I still dont see the big deal on Eric's side, he told me not to spoil anything in the game for him and as such I cannot inform him of when NPC's will come or go. And which NPC's will come and go.
You don't have to spoil the plot. But if a player fears he's going to stay forever, and that will make him retire his character or leave the game, then "He's staying for as long as I want. Deal with it." might be spoiling a lot more than the plot.

How hard is it to say: "Don't worry, the paladin won't stay for long." or perhaps: "Don't leave or retire your character because of the paladin. He's really not going to be that big a deal. Your current character is fine for this campaign."

You have an extremely black and white view on communication. Answers don't always have to be yes or no. Instead of a short-sighted direct answer, you can also decide to give a real, meaningful response to the issue underlying the question. Communicate!