View Single Post

Thread: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

1. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

I edited the Fist of the Constructed. And the Dormant Infusions actually were intended to be activated all at once if the player so wishes. I clarified that as well.

Don't know much about Marshals, but here goes. Comments in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    Finished
    The Commissar of the Emperor

I didn't give you permission to die coward! On your feet!
    Commissar Yarrick, during the first war of Armageddon

Humans have the astounding ability to be inspired to fight beyond any normal limits, however there are limits to how this can be accomplished.
    The Commissar however, surpasses these limits by scaring his men while inspiring them. A quick execution of cowards does wonders for morale in the heat of battle.

BECOMING A COMMISSAR
    A commisar is is generally appointed after having extensive experiance in the battlefield and shown the ability to lead large numbers of men against the enemy.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Skills: Intimidate 8 ranks, Perform (Oratory) 8 ranks
    Feats: Intimidating Strike (PHB2)
    Auras: Must be able to project a minor aura and a major aura
    Special: Must be able to use Inspire courage 2/day and must be able to grant a move action 1/day
    :

Class Skills
    The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are
    Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
    Skills Points at Each Level: 6 + int mod

Hit Dice: d10
    So the intended entry is Marshal 4/Bard 2. Okay. The skills look pretty much pasted from the respective entry classes. I do find it kind of odd that this has full BAB and d10 HD, when the marshal has medium bab and d8 hd, and the bard has medium bab and d6 hd. Also, I'd find a good will save more suitable to this guy than a good reflex save.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Auras and Spells

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Drill Sergeant|+1 level of Auras and +1 level of existing bard casting

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Intimidating Shot|+1 level of Auras and +1 level of existing bard casting

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Fear me, not the enemy|+1 level of Auras and +1 level of existing bard casting

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Fear is better than persuasion|+1 level of Auras and +1 level of existing bard casting

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |An example to you all|+1 level of Auras and +1 level of existing bard casting

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |It is better to be feared by everyone than no-one|+1 level of Auras and +1 level of existing bard casting

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Fear is better than persuasion|+1 level of Auras and +1 level of existing bard casting

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Preparations against Poison|+1 level of Auras and +1 level of existing bard casting

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |It is better to be feared by everyone than no-one|+1 level of Auras and +1 level of existing bard casting

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Fear is better than persuasion, On your feet coward!|+1 level of Auras and +1 level of existing bard casting[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Commissar is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any one-handed ranged weapons. (This does not include throwing weapons) They are also proficient with light and medium armour and All shields (except tower shields) Pretty much made redundant by the entry class proficiencies. I assume the one-handed ranged weapon thing is meant to facilitate gun-wielding?

Drill Sergeant (Ex)
    At 1st level a Commissar learns that the best way to lead is through fear.
    When a Commissar uses inspire courage, he may make a ranged attack roll on an ally (This attack does not provoke an AoO). This attack will automatically deal the lowest possible outcome for damage and if it hits, the damage dealt will be added to the bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls and saves made against fears made by allies.

The bonus on fear saves is not added on saves against fear caused by the Commissar.
    This sounds like it could get pretty brutal if you start stacking flat damage bonuses on that ranged attack. Most character's wouldn't mind taking 10 damage if they gain that as a bonus to a whole bunch of rolls. Also, "fears" should probably be referred to as "fear effects".

Intimating shot (Ex)
    At second level you may apply an intimidating strike to your ranged attacks. Okay. Not much to say about this really. Also, this should be "Intimidating Shot", not "Intimating shot."

Fear me, not the enemy (3rd level): when you succede on a intimadate (*intimidate) check against a enemy, any allies in LoS gain a 5+ morale bonus to will saves aganist enemy fear and mind-effecting abilty. You should probably state that as "any allies with line of sight to you. Also, it's "mind-affecting abilities. Also, I nearly missed this ability because it wasn't bolded.

Fear is better than persuasion: (Ex) At 4th level and every 3 levels after, a Commissar may use a use of bardic music and make a perform (oratory) check and an intimidate check.
    If the result of the intimidate check is higher you may use one of the following effects depending on level.
    4th: You may add half your Commissar level to your inspire courage bonus
    7th: You may either double your inspire courage or half your Commissar level to your inspire courage bonus.
    10th: You may double your inspire courage bonus and add half your commissar level to it. Half your Commissar level is not doubled.
    This seriously encourages intimidate optimization, while.... encouraging you to stunt your perform. That's weird. Anyway, "half your commissar level" is a pretty big deal, given that normal bards get +4 at level 20...

Preparations against Poison (Ex)
    A level 8 Commissar has either learned from experience or being told, that a scary and abusive general doesn't live long when poison is easily acquired from the black market, and the easiest way to deal with this is to take deadly poisons in small doses regularly, and you have now done it often enough to become immune to all ingested poisons. Ingested poisons are poisons placed in either food or drink. This will not make you immune to poisons when something with poison dripping from its fangs decides to insert your arm inside its mouth. You could just use the categorizations for "injury poison/ingested poison/inhaled poison" and so on. Honestly, it wouldn't break the bank to just make the guy immune to poison.

An example to you all (Ex)
    As a full-round action a level 5 Commissar can make an ally within reach/1 range incriment dies. Make an Intimidate check, 1/6th of the result is added to allies within Line of Sights attack rolls, damage rolls and Armour Class. So the commissar can autokill an ally as a full-round action? This is... weird. And sounds hard to adjudicate too. What if you have a traitor in your midst who doesn't consider you their ally, but you consider them to be your ally. What if someone mindrapes you to think the BBEG is your ally? Apart from abuses, the only way I can see this being very useful is if you have leadership+ minions, and doing this is going to murder your leadership score pretty fast.

A spell and Aura, combined to scare them ****less (Su)
    At level 6, a Commissar has found a way to weave their spell into an aura, for a brief surge of power that will make enemies inside their aura sickened for the round (Fort Neg) DC: Commissar level + Cha Mod + Aura Bonus At levl 8, this ability becomes more powerful and an Aura this ability is used with has its bonsu increased by 2 until the end of your next round. This ability is used as a swift action. "...I'm not even sure what this is supposed to do. Combine an aura with a bardic spell? Okay, but it doesn't even seem to offer any mechanics to do so."

On your feet coward! (Ex)
    At 10th level a Commissar learns his most powerful ability in war.If an ally is dropped, make an intimidate check as a free action. If your result is higher then the damage dealt to the ally they survive with 1HP Immunity to HP damage for all! Unless someone is ubercharging you, their damage rolls probably won't exceed optimized intimidate rolls.
    The class is very powerful just for its chassis, but the abilities honestly drive it straight into overpowered, since they are so easy to horribly abuse.

I doubt I could give a very informed PEACH for Owrtho, since I know next to nothing about the two classes being hybridized. Ah well.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-02-19 at 02:55 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!