Quote Originally Posted by Libertad View Post
@ Premier:
How does the game handle the possibility of PCs being rulers of nations or merchant princes?
Before I start I'll just say that I've dealt with this same problem in 1stEd. I have a fighter that created a city from scratch, then gave himself a title and kingdom, and I have a cleric that protects a large farming community.

To put it simply, creating cities/nations/empires is possible, just takes some studying of the rules in the PHB and DMG. The maximum area that 1 stronghold can rule over is listed in the PHB under character class. The numbers of followers you attract is in the PHB, and the cost/make up for those followers are listed in the DMG. The DMG also has costs for walls, caverns, tunnels, buildings, ext... There are even rules for how to hire more hirelings and raise an army. Also, funding this may be difficult. Giving your character monthly bills will empty their treasury, and the money gained from taxes.... leaves some to be desired. Alternate income is necessary. (Mining/farming/adventuring may be mandatory)

Unfortunately these rules are not transparent or unified. It takes some effort on the players part and some decision making on the DM's part to make these unassociated rules into a coherent system. 1st edition is great because it forces people to innovate, not be a god among men. That also means that you have to create some systems/standards which no one (Gygax) thought of way back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertad View Post
@ Premier:
How dependent are PCs on wealth and equipment to effectively contribute to adventures? Can a high-level fighter make do with substandard armor and weapons?
Generally adventuring provides everything you need. But if you did rule a trading empire, embezzling a cool 1mill in gold can break the game. Keep players from doing this.