Played the first campaign mission of Wargame: European Escalation last night.

The maps are certainly large, and although not a sim it seems to be much more realistic than I was expecting. Tanks can shoot things from very long distances, HE shells can ignite stuff, there's a good terrain based concealment system, and things seem fairly deadly. I had an enemy infantry team holed up in some woodlands kill an armored scout vehicle with some sort of AT weapon in one shot, tanks could blow the crap out of an infantry team quite easily, and my more advanced Leopard MBTs were eating T-34s for lunch.

There's also some interesting stuff going on with supply. Armored vehicles burn fuel and have finite ammunition supplies, you need to send them off to resupply at either a FOB or a supply truck, which in turn must be supplied from an FOB. I had one of my Leopard platoons literally run out of gas and needed to call in another to capture an enemy supply depot so my supply truck could tank up and get the tanks back into action. On a more challenging map, this could become quite interesting.

Annoyingly the first map didn't give me any infantry or aircraft to command, so I can't comment on how they work. Hopefully tonight's session will provide clarity.