As you may have noticed from some hints, I am a big Dragon Age fan. I also like the Daelkyr and Quori of Eberron a lot and the Quori are really very similar to demons in Dragon Age. There are also a lot of things I like about vampires, but this fictional creature is loaded with a huge amount of baggage that is heavily associated with the modern era much more than the middle ages or antiquity.
So i decided not to have vampires at all, since that blood drinking and light-aversion stuff aren't really the parts that are interesting about them. Instead I want the immortal monster in human shape with superhuman strength and superior intelligence. Which reminds me of the Inspired in Eberron. And then there's the Abominations from Dragon Age, like Uldreth and Flemeth.
So I want to have a creature that's an Inspired Vampire-Abomination. It's mortals, usually sorcerers, who become possessed by powerful demons and their minds merging into a new personalty. They are very strong, very smart, and virtually immortal, but retain the appearance of normal people. I also like the idea from dragon age, that there's no way to get a demon out of a mortal body once it has completely transformed it. As long as its just remote mind control, you can try to convince the demon to stop controlling the person, but even with all the magic in the world, you can't reverse possession. Just not happening.

Now I think they would make great villains, but again. What to call them? Since they are explicitly not vampires, that name is out. Inspired doesn't make sense in this case, and just calling them Abominations seems cheap. Any ideas?

Also, what do you think of "physical magic"? Some kind of substance that contains magical energy which can be used by spellcasters? Dragon Age has Lyrium, which is pretty much crystalized mana. I think it's a neat idea, especially as a component in the creation of magic items. I have no idea how it can be used in normal spellcasting yet, but I think it's a very flaworful concept.