Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
Spoiler
Show
I had some really weird problems during puberty (mostly sharp pains), but I didn't tell anyone because they were convinced that I was a hypochondriac. The few people I did tell compared it to what girls go through and implied that it couldn't have been as bad as I thought (in retrospect; WHAT THE **** did that have to do with anything!?).

More recently, my parents started taking me to a urologist for (almost certainly) unrelated reasons, but I'm never able to ask what the hell was going on because they won't let me go back alone for some reason.
Spoiler
Show
What is it, a competition on who suffers the most, so that we can decide who deserves the compassion?
On the completely opposite side, my periods haven't been kind to me pain-wise, and still aren't, but few women in my acquaintances seemed to understand how bad it is, or why I wanted to get rid of it. Huh, because it hurts, that I have no intention to be fertile now (or at any point in the future for what it's worth), and that I could do without bleeding? It was particularly bad in college; if people were much more mature than in school, they were however much more self-centered or dumb in many ways.
And I wish gynecologists were allowed to treat seriously their patients who are pretty sure they don't want to be pregnant. I was looking for a more reliable solution than the pill to get rid of my periods (as I tend to forget to take the damn things), but couldn't suggest me anything else. It's been over two years since I saw one; I should try again soon, even though I'm not quite sexually active. Maybe even they'll suggest me a more desirable treatment if I tell them I have a boyfriend. No need to tell them he's FtM and can't get me pregnant, it should be none of their business in a disease-unrelated case.

On the House tangent:
Hey, I like this show.
The thing though is that I acknowledge he's a [REDACTED], that he would make a terrible doctor in real life, and that he wouldn't last very long.
I appreciate him because he's the incarnation of a fantasy I like: the doctor who tells off the insufferable patients and denounces their lies. It doesn't help that my boyfriend and most of our common friends are medicine students and have their own stories of human stupidity.
I'm rather misanthropic myself and see probably more stupidity and selfishness than there actually is. So, when I'm watching the show, I allow myself to switch off my empathy and take a short holidays from normal social life.
Again, I'm not saying he's right to treat his patients the way it does. But it's entertaining me, and afterward, I can go back and actually think about the implications.
Spoiler
Show
Which reminds me of the older episode with a teen model who, to state things simply, was a pathetic excuse for a human being; turned out she was - genetically and biologically - male but her problems were caused by the same condition that prevented her from developing male physical characteristics. She, of course, didn't take the news well.
Does anyone here believe that, similarly to the asexuals episode mentioned earlier, this episode was insulting toward trans*, intersex people, or any other LGBT category?