Quote Originally Posted by monkey3 View Post
@Saintheart and @Berron

My bad. I should have given more information. Here's how it went. I ruled that the box the Phylactery was being held in is a non-detection box. When the opened it, and took it out they talked about what to do with it. At that point the Ghostlord detected it, and did a scry (druid spell he was saving for then he can detect his gem).

The party quickly put the phylactery back in the non-detection box, but now the Ghostlord has seen them. So every night, the Ghostlord has been scrying a different party member, tracking them back to Brindoll. The party knows this because the mostly detect when they are being scryed. He has demanded his phylactery back (via a zombie chimera with a scroll tied to his paw), and he has been ignored.

One idea I had was this:
The Ghostlor knows who has his phylactery and where it is. He knows the Red hand has no hold of him any more. Frankly, he is pissed at the whole blackmail. He wants it back, but he sure doesn't want the Red Hand to kill the party and regain control of the Phylactery.

So The Ghstlord kills the Red Hand agents that are with him (Ulwai and Varanthian), and sends his own agents (Bonedrinkers) at the end of the battle.

One problem with this is that Ulwai and Varanthian are beautifuly made NPCs and it is a waste for the party not toe "meet" them.

I love the idea of a trade. I did not think of it (only threats, which the party ignores). What do you propose the Ghostlord offer for the phylactery?
The Ghostlord is a bit like Gollum (from LotR), obsessed with his phylactery. Mad in a way, but very clever (how else could he survive 400 years) and wise/experienced. Make sure you play him this way. If he has scryed the party roll some dice to see if he recognises anything (holy symbol and the lot), gather information and use it to the best of his ability (keep in mind though, that he doesn't like leaving his hide-out for a long time).

I don't know if your party has befriended the Elves yet, but IIRC they are pretty close to Rhest. He could ofcourse kidnap some of innocent Elven children. Or offer a large sum of money and magic items if your party is more the greedy kind.

Just make sure that if the party meets the Ghostlord that they know he's powerfull and prepare his defensive/offensive spells (there are some great ideas on the thread). In his eyes the party is in the same league as the Red Hand, so he'll be ruthless (sp?) with them to get his phyl. back.

Tbh.. sending his Bonedrinkers into a warzones is pretty bad, likely to be targeted themselves by an alert victor.... I don't recall if he can shapeshift, but sneaking in as a bird might be a way.

anyway.. have fun