1. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXIX: There is no Pegasus Mafia!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    my two cents on season two: Overall the season has been weaker than season 1. But it had very good ones, like Sweet and Elite, one of my favourites.

One thing I noted is the lack of good antagonists. Not villains, we had a good one with Disquord. I mean characters on the same level of power like the mane cast, like the Gilda, Blueblood or the notorious and famous Trixie. That neither of those, especially Trixie, showed up again so far is a big loss for the season. Neither the Flim Flam brothers or or someone else could really substitute them. Instead we have a series nice and cute side characters like Pipsqueak or the Baby Cakes.
    If I had to differentiate between season 1 and 2 antagonist role, I'd have to say that the difference is between External antagonism and Internal antagonism. Season one had many external threats and challenges to overcome Starting with nightmare moon, dragons, trixie, guilda, competitions and parasprites.

Season two however, the threats comes from within, even Discord episodes is mostly about the discorded ponies themselves. The world is peaceful, the threats to friendship are now internal conflicts, a hurtful remark, a dismissed concern, distracting priorities, and ignored advices.

If we still think of the show as teaching friendship, then this is valuable lessons that show the dangers that even now plagues the brony communities themselves. It's easy to unite against an external threat but can you truely follow the ways of friendship when it's your friends themselves that caused the hurt? It's an uncomfortable subjects that many can't quite answer, how do your friendship stand when put to the test?

I think this uncomfortable question is souring somepony's perception, so much so that the minor new changes of the season becomes a scapegoat to channel the fraustration on. Sure some of the changes are not good, but it's not bad either. At least not bad enough to cause everything that was good to turn bad and cause one to quit. (I don't mean quit watching, but rather to quit socializing altogether. That means you are breaking what bonds you have forged over the span of ponydom.)

edit: feel free to ignore my rambling, the thought is genuine but it's not a scripture, and not to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2012-03-05 at 04:57 PM.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku