The Question

The curveball Bruce throws unnerves Kate - he switches from moody and irascible to innocently placating as easily as flipping on a switch. Kate withdraws her hand from his touch as though she were afraid of catching leprosy from him - and in the very next instant, she knows its a mistake. That'll probably set him off. Try to fix things before its too late.

She sighs and stares up to the ceiling for a moment. "You're right, Bruce - I should have been here more often. You, me, Tommy, we're all bound together by the same tragedies. I do empathize with you, I really do. And...that's probably why I'm not here all that often. Seeing you, it opens up those wounds that never really healed.

She has a flash of insight, and the hint of a smile comes to her ruby lips. "You know, I had a dream about you recently. I dreamt of a Gotham that had a Bruce Wayne gallavanting around the jet set, brokering deals and breaking hearts. It was a good Gotham - still dirty and filled with the things that prowl in the night - but it had different protectors. I wish you could have seen that Gotham. You would have liked it."