Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
A 326
I have not checked the math personally, but I've heard that monster skills were often copied from their 3.0 version without checking that they conformed to 3.5's revised skill system. 3.5 rules would apply to any skills gained through further advancement, even if they cannot be used to generate the existing modifiers. The riding dog, for example, would gain 2 skill points.
Continuation

After staring at the base statics of the riding dog, I realized my error. To elborate for everyone else I've posted the breakdown below.

Spoiler
Show
I forgot the 40 movement speed imparts a bonus to your jump check, as well as the alertness feat providing a +2 on spot and listen.

The animals skills are presented as: Jump +8 , Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +3 and Survival +1. Jump still seems wrong, as it should be 4 racial, 4 speed, and 2 str. Listen is +1 modifier, Alertness +2, and 2 ranks. Spot is also +1 modifier, Alertness +2, and 2 ranks. Swim is a +2 modifer and 1 rank. Survival is simply a +1 modifer.

This anmial appearently does follow the normal skill rules for animals with 2 hd and an int of 2. Jump still seems off.