View Single Post

Thread: The Fresh Prince's Daily Draw Challenge

1. - Top - End - #102
    Banned

Default Re: The Fresh Prince's Daily Draw Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    This is a little rough, but do you think this is an improvement?

Spoiler
    Show

Regardless, I'll test that out these next days and see what happens.
    I do! Very nice.

I'm angsting too hard this evening to art properly.

Spoiler
    Show

There will be something better up tomorrow, and it will be up before midnight.
    Aha. I see what's wrong with your leg structure. In this one, it's the thigh. The thigh is of a smaller proportion than the rest of your dood. I'm not sure if it has to do with bone structure, but the size of the torso and head would mean you should have a slightly larger/lower thigh than you have.

I intend to colour this picture tomorrow (and add a background to boot), but I don't think I'll be able to finish the job on a tuesday, so you can expect an anatomy intermission then and the finished picture on wednesday*.

Right now I notice that the boy's eyes are glancing to the side as if the woman was further back in the picture, away from the viewpoint. I also notice that her left eye is traveling out of her face. This will be corrected.

*This would be such a fantastic time to remember if you capitalise weekdays in english.

Spoiler
    Show

Once again I find that I have drawn a picture of two or more people "facing" each other in halfprofile, as if for the benefit of a camera. Do you think this is a problem that needs to be adressed? Is it preferable to draw them closer to true profile, or to simply draw the backside of one person's head?
    It's the PC conundrum. Why are the protagonists always the chosen ones? Because the story focuses on those chosen ones. They'd still be there if the story didn't focus on them, but it would be a borig story (generally) and you'd wish the story focus on said chosen ones.

In the same way, yes, these folks could be seen from different angles. But unless framing them differently would aid the composition, Nopony will really mind if the picture is from a point that lets us see the face. In fact, there's no winning. If we saw them from the back, folks could say you were lay for not drawing the face.

So do whatever you want, knowing you'll get flak either way

As said, more anatomy and posing, some of which shown here.

Spoiler
    Show

Tomorrow I'll switch to a better image hosting site like I should have ages ago, and then I'll reupload Erikuns birthday picture.
    Provided I didn't confuse myself and this is the three folks anatomy picture, then I See your trouble. The femur!

The femur drops a little bit from the pelvis on a large bump lever thingy. The length of the femur is correct, but attached wrong. It's too high up on te pelvis, to mine eyes. I'm not sure what's causing it, and illy et to remember to do some comparisons so I can give you actual answers. But the head of the femur usually sits at level with the sit bone, and yours is almost at the top of the sacrum. Lowering the greater trochanter (I believe that's what I'm talking about anyway, this is vague memory practice) just those few proportional inches would solve the irregularity.

EDIT: more anatomy I think would be useful!

The pelvis (or the part that matters) is the iliac crest. It's not flat though, it's like the edge of a dish. The part that the femur attaches to is recessed. I bring this up because it looks like you're using the bone to build both the outside of the pelvis, and also the defining borders of its front as far as the actual flesh goes. If you remember that it's concave, you can use the meat of the thigh to flesh out the 'ball' part of the ball and socket, action figure style. This is important because the main muscle that lifts the knee closer to the chest starts on the inside of the pelvis, drops down through it, and connects to the front of the thigh. Except I can't articulate why it's important, so grain of salt there. Muscle is the iliopsoas, if yore interested in an image lark.

Ankles! The ankles are he hammer bones, the medial (inside) and lateral (outside) malleolus (malleoli plural; spelling is probably off). The inside bump is actually higher than the outside bump, by anywhere from 50%-150% percent of the outside. In some people a straight line from the top of the outside bump will go through the inside bump, in some the line will touch the bottom, and in very very few (usually artistically exaggerated, I've never seen a living example, not sure if they could even walk...) the line wouldn't touch the inside bump at all. By staggering the protrusion, you'll avoid the weird socket look you've got going. This can also be done by remembering that the ankle is a tube (leg) with a bump on ether end. Your coloring looks like the bump is actually more of a ring that surrounds the entire calf-foot connection point.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-03-10 at 07:37 PM.