1. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: More Magic, More Fun -- Sorcerer/Wizard Remixes (3.5, PEACH)

Of course, I forgot to post sunday... My memory does suck!

Okay, our party was level 9. It was a druid, a gunslinger, a homebrew rogue, a homebrew fighter and my sorcerer.

Our quest involved transporting war-prisioners (who we rescued) across enemy territory, setting them free and going back to the front, where we'd be told to sneak into the enemy's headquarters to sabotage their weapons and/or kill their commanders. It was pretty cool.
    I had 70 Arcana points. With a daily limit of 5 5th-level spells and 10 4th-level spells. I had 6 spells known of my 2 highest spell level and a lot of the lower ones.

Being able to cast 5 of my most powerful spells per day was really, really cool, Wall of Stone and Summon Monster 5 allowed me to be useful in and outside of combat, and I still had some juice even after spending over half my arcana. This was great 'cause it extended the adventuring day. I was not in top form after the 1st 2 or 3 encounters, but I could still help meanningfully!

I had OPTIONS, not just 2 or 3 spells! I could actually pick fun spells instead of just learning the most powerful ones. This is the 1st sorcerer I made who had Tongues and Suggestion in his spell list!

His ability in combat was as good as you'd expect from a tier2 class, really powerful tricks, but not much variety. The DM was pleased that he didn't have to worry about me having different spells every single day.

The druid was never bothered by me, tier1 is still more versatile than the sorcerer (but not nearly as fun ). The rogue, fighter and gunslinger enjoyed having a decent caster who could go longer than 10 minutes without needing to rest for 8h.

Magesight and Magetouch were really cool to roleplay, and add a lot of flavor to the sorcerer.

Body Burn is useful, but not abusable. 2d8* (or 2d10) damage per caster-level is a lot when you have a d6 HD, poor AC and mean enemies! But I had the impression that at higher levels, the damage was not gonna be a real problem, since I'd have more HP and most enemies would be able to 1-hit-KO me anyway. Soul Burns is much more limited, even at high level.
    *Since sorcerers have d6 HD in PF, we increased Body Burn's damage accordingly.

My conclusions are:
    1- The Sorcerer Remixed is more powerful than the official version. But not "tier 1 powerful".
    2- His increased versatility means he can learn both utility and combat spells, so a wizard, while more versatile, is not utterly necessary.
    3- The sorcerer remixed is MORE FUN!
    The extra spells known allow the player to pick those cool spell he always wanted to, but didn't 'cause they are less than optimal. And the extra spell casting means the 15-minute adventuring day is at least a 2-hours adventuring day.

Really, the only problem this sorcerer has is the fact that he's still a full-caster, and as such, can still break the game. But this is an issue with D&D/Pathfinder, not the class. If those broken spells are nerfed or removed, the sorcerer could be very balanced. In the case of the wizard, not so much, as he'd still be able to basically be whatever he wants everyday.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2012-03-13 at 12:20 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff: